[asia-apec 1202] NZ: Sex trade gears up for Apec

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Mon Jul 19 13:09:28 JST 1999

Sunday News, Auckland, New Zealand
July 18 1999

(Letters to editor: editor at sunday-news.co.nz)

Sex trade gears up for Apec
By Simon Jones

MASSAGE parlours hope to score some of the $50 million expected to
be generated by Apec.

Several Auckland parlours are hiring extra girls to cope with an
expected surge in demand from thousands of delegates and their
aides.

With visiting state leaders including American president Bill
Clinton, some cheeky escort agencies are even looking to hire
Monica Lewinsky lookalikes.

"We've been busy planning for Apec for quite some time", said Alan
Taylor, manager of Auckland's Number 28 massage parlour.

"It's fair to say we see it as a great opportunity for us.  In
particular we are looking at the Asian market and are looking to
hire oriental girls to look after their needs."

Many parlours are looking to double their staff during September's
three-day Asia-Pacific economic conference in Auckland.  Apec is
expected to attract 7000 delegates, security staff and journalists
from 18 of the world's biggest countries.

Femme Fatale parlour said it would take on Monica Lewinsky
lookalikes.

"At the moment we haven't got any but if there are any out there,
we would consider it," said manageress Monique.

"If Bill wants to come along, we'd make him feel at home.  Just
give us a ring first to make an appointment..

"I think every massage parlour in Auckland expects a rise in
demand."

It won't be just female escorts who will cash in on Apec.

Gregg, a spokesman for Auckland male escort agency Adonis, said
his company would accommodate female delegates looking for a good
time.

"We really don't know how much trade we will get but we want to
recruit men in their early 20s," Gregg said.

Planning against red-faced diplomats

APEC security bosses are working out ways to keep visiting
delegates away from Auckland's red light areas.

Inspector John Mitchell, head of security for the Asian
contingent, said police had met to discuss ways of stopping
delegates "embarrassing themselves".

"We would advise them against visiting massage parlours," he said.
"But as long as it isn't illegal they can do what they want."

Four delegates from each country represented at Apec will have
diplomatic immunity.

Mitchell said police had examined problems British officers had
with Arab diplomats who were caught shoplifting there.

But one detective said he wouldn't stop them visiting any of
Auckland's 60 massage parlours.

"We're not here to babysit them," he told Sunday News.

Minister Joop flew the coop

POLICE will not want a repeat of the 1995 Commonwealth summit
incident, where Indonesian tourism minister Joop Ave was accused
of making a sexual advance on a young man.

To protect our relations with the Asian country, the full police
report on the incident, at the Commonwealth heads of government
meeting in Auckland, has never been released.

Ave left New Zealand 24 hours after a young man complained of
being sexually harassed when delivering room service to the
Indonesian politician's hotel suite.

Ave did not have diplomatic immunity and then assistant police
commissioner Brian Duncan said the incident was serious enough to
push for extradition.  But New Zealand did not have such a treaty
with Indonesia.