[asia-apec 919] The Politics of Food --Food First on Talk of the Nation and Making Contact

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Wed Nov 25 08:40:43 JST 1998

Anuradha Mittal, Policy Director at Food First/Institute for Food and
Development Policy will be on Talk of the Nation tomorrow, Nov. 25, at
11.00 am (PST). The program will cover issues around hunger and poverty in
the US. Other guests will include Robert Rector from the Heritage
Foundation, author of the Myth of American Poverty.

This is a call in show--we hope anti hunger and anti poverty activists
around the country will call in with their questions.

ALSO

"THE POLITICS OF FOOD" -- that's the title of Making Contact's  next program
to be fed Wednesday, November 25, 1998.

 December marks the 50th anniversary of the signing of the
United Nations Declaration of Human Rights.  This document
guarantees, among other things, the right to food, housing and
medical care.  It also grants the right to work and fair pay.

 But here in the United States, millions of poor people go
without these basic necessities...and poverty activists are building a
movement to call on U.S. officials to recognize economic human
rights.

 On this program, we'll have a report from the first annual
Poor People's Summit held in Philadelphia.  We'll also talk with an
expert on hunger and poverty who says that food is plentiful in the
world; it's political decisions that keep it away from those who need
it most.

 * Peter Rosset, executive director of the Institute for Food
and Development Policy (Food First), says that "hunger is actually
due to human decisions and to policies that are very much
influenced by multinational corporations and the powers-that-be to
benefit their own interests."

 * And, correspondent Travis Lea speaks with poverty
activists at the first annual Poor People's Summit held in
Philadelphia in October 1998.  Footage includes Cheri Honkala, co-
founder of the Kennsington Welfare Rights Union, who calls for an
end to poverty in the United States: "We will no longer tolerate the
injustice of economic human rights violations."

 Making Contact, a 29-minute public-affairs program fed on
the satellite each Wednesday at 12 noon ET, is available free of
charge to all public radio stations.  For further information, please
call the National Radio Project at (510)251-1332 or (650)851-7256.

email: contact at igc.org
Internet: http://www.igc.apc.org/MakingContact

National Producer, David Barsamian; Managing Producer, Phillip
Babich; Senior Advisor, Norman Solomon; Executive Director:
Peggy Law; Production Assistant: Shereen Meraji

Anuradha Mittal
Policy Director
Institute for Food and Development Policy - Food First
398 60th Street, Oakland, CA 94618
Phone: (510) 654-4400  Fax: (510) 654-4551
http://www.foodfirst.org