[asia-apec 489] Re: WTO: US warns cherry-picking on APEC free-trade plan dest...

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Sun Jun 28 12:45:52 JST 1998

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 05:10:16 -0500
To: niel at iatp.org, sophia at iatp.org, karen at iatp.org, kristin at iatp.org
        ictsd <ictsd at iprolink.ch>, JBRIENZA at PILLSBURY.COM, jjbw at sprynet.com,
        steve at iatp.org,
        "Eliane.BARBAGLIA at delche.cec.eu.int" <Eliane.BARBAGLIA at delche.cec.eu.int>,
        "lwallach at citizen.org" <lwallach at citizen.org>,
        "mika at mb.kcom.ne.jp" <mika at mb.kcom.ne.jp>,
        gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz, vanroozendaal at pscw.uva.nl
From: "Mark Ritchie" <mritchie at iatp.org>
Subject: WTO: US warns cherry-picking on APEC free-trade plan dest...

> [...]

>having more product exclusions than inclusions, that is obviously
destructive
>to the process," she said.
>
>   "Flexibility should be provided but it cannot weaken the initiative in
any
>respect."
>
>   She acknowledged that some countries may have reservations in "sensitive
>areas" but that was acceptable "so long as it is not routine, exceptions
do not
> dominate and that the overall package are mutually beneficial."
>
>   "I wouldn't get too caught up in the lingo," she said. What we want is
>simply the assurance that at the very end of the day, we are all roughly
in the
> same place but the timing can be quite different."
>
>   While it may be "politically difficult" for the United States and Japan
>given their size, she stressed that the two have "a special responsibility
>move forward 100 percent.
>
>   "We will come out of Kuching quite well-positioned to move forward on
these
>initiatives and ultimately take them to the **WTO** so we can get a larger
>group of  economies participating," she added.
>
>   The United States and Japan have been at odds over the group's so-called
>early voluntary sectoral liberalisation plan, especially in two of the
sectors
>Tokyo is most sensitive about -- fish and forest products.
>
>   During the Vancouver summit last November, APEC leaders asked trade
>ministers to "finalise detailed targets and timelines" for the
liberalisation
>plan in time for this week's meeting in Kuching.
>
>   But senior trade officials meeting ahead of the ministerial talks
>effectively deferred the deadline by three months.
>
>   A US senior official warned that "if flexibility becomes just a
pseudonym
>for cherry-picking, that is unacceptable," saying it was vital for the
>"integrity and the principle of liberalisation" to be maintained.
>
>   "We want to make sure that the consensus to continue down that road is
held
>intact and that no one submarines it," he added.
>
>   The plan by the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (APEC) for early
>voluntary liberalisation involves trade in nine priority sectors by next
year
>and six others.
>
>   Apart from fish and forest products, other priorities include chemicals,
>energy, environmental goods and services, gems and jewellery, medical
equipment
> and toys.
>
>   The ninth priority sector, telecommunications, has already been settled
with
> a ministerial agreement on mutual recognition arrangements in Singapore
this
>month.
>
>   APEC groups Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, China, Hong Kong,
Indonesia,
>Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, the
>Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and the United States. Russia,
Vietnam
> and Peru are set to join the group in November.
>
>   en/nj
>
>(Copyright 1998)
>
>                    _____via IntellX_____
>
>{A1:AgenceFrancePresse-0622.02102}   06/22/98

>[ ] Put an X here to receive a form through which you may inspect,
>    modify, or stop this Agent. {WTO}
>

>Questions? Email support at inquisit.com -- we're here to help!  Delivered
via the Inquisit(TM) business intelligence service
<http://www.inquisit.com>.  All articles Copyright 1998 by their respective
source(s); all rights reserved.  The information contained in this message
is for use by licensed Inquisit subscribers only and may not be forwarded,
distributed, published or broadcast in any medium.

Mark Ritchie, President
Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
2105 1st Ave. South,   Mpls, MN 55404 USA
612-870-3400 (direct),   612-870-4846 (fax)
mritchie at iatp.org      http://www.iatp.org