[asia-apec 475] Re: APEC SOM III and Trade Ministerial

PAN Asia Pacific panap at panap.po.my
Thu Jun 18 13:23:54 JST 1998

>Is anyone in Malaysia going to monitor the APEC Trade Ministerial
>and Senior Official Meetings taking place from June 18 - 22?

Currently, we (the Malaysian APPA groups) are trying to contact
APEC government delegations to arrange for meetings.  So far, we
have only made arrangements to meet with members of the Canadian
delegation.  The Canadians, however, would not meet with us in
Kuching (where the Trade Ministerial and SOM II are taking place)
because of hostility expressed by the Malaysian government towards
the Peoples' Assembly.

I will post whatever information we receive to the list.

>Does anyone on this list know how to find out what takes place
>during and the outcome of these meetings, besides calling
>our trade reps?

You can find reports on the APEC webpage but not all are there.  I
have been trying for months to get a report from SOM I and the
Agriculture Working Groups off of the Canadian government.  APEC's
new policy on transparency was supposed to make all reports
accessible to the public. You may want to try contacting the APEC
Secretariat.

 Devlin