[asia-apec 961] Articles on SIS

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Fri Dec 11 12:00:15 JST 1998

Expert Convinced SIS Law will Change

(The Dominion, Friday December 11, 1998)

By Cathie Bell

THERE was "no doubt" that the law would be changed to allow the Security
Intelligence Service to break into people's houses, academic Jim Rolfe said
yesterday.

Prime Minister Jenny Shipley has indicated the law would be changed after the
Appeal Court ruled that an SIS interception warrant did not allow agents to
enter private property.

Activist Aziz Choudry had appealed the SIS's refusal to let him see documents
about SIS agents breaking into his Christchurch home two years ago.

Proposals for law changes are expected to be discussed at a meeting of the
intelligence agency's oversight committee some time this week.

Neither Mrs Shipley nor Labour leader Helen Clark, who is also on the
oversight committee, would comment about the proposed law change yesterday.

Mr Rolfe, who is writing a book about the SIS the Government Communications
Security Bureau, said he thought a law change to enable SIS agents to enter
private property was "inevitable".

"There's no doubt in my mind that they will either appeal to the Privy Council
or change the law.  Changing the law would be easier I suspect."

He said Australia, Canada, and Britain, in their laws governing intelligence
agencies, had provisions to enable spies to enter private property and those
could be easily "lifted" for New Zealand.

There had to be more than just Mr Choudry's opposition to the Asia Pacific
Economic Cooperation forum for the SIS to be investigating him, Mr Rolfe said.

The SIS usually investigated violence or spying of some kind, he said, though
he speculated it could be linked to New Zealand's economic interests, another
consideration for SIS investigations.

Alliance MP Matt Robson said the Alliance had opposed the extended definition
of security - to include economic interests - when it was introduced three
years ago.

"The Alliance presented a detailed submission, when the legislation was being
considered, in which we highlighted our concern at how the SIS could misuse
this extended definition."

Mr Robson said that then-prime minister Jim Bolger had said in July 196, when
opposing an Alliance attempt to make the intelligence and security oversight
committee a select committee of Parliament, that "two of the important areas
the SIS work in now include looking for terrorists and money-laundering."

Mr Robson said Mr Choudry was not a terrorist, nor was he involved in
money-laundering.

He said Mr Choudry was known for his opposition to free trade and New
Zealand's membership of APEC which was "absolutely" legal.

"Does opposition to free trade pose a threat to New Zealand's economic
well-being?"

"When opposing the extended definition of security, we said it could be used
by the SIS to spy on those in the community opposed to the current
government's economic policies.  We have been proved right."

Letters to editor:  letters at dominion.co.nz