[asia-apec 401] 2nd Delegation Zapatista Weavers Struggle

Eduardo Vera evera at igc.apc.org
Wed Jul 9 17:15:16 JST 1997

2nd Delegation Zapatista Weavers Struggle

Press Release For Immediate Release July 8, 1997 Contact:  Eduardo
Vera (512) 454-8097 email: evera at igc.apc.org

Austin Delegation to Chiapas

The Committee in Solidarity with Chiapas is inviting the Austin
Community and other people in the United States to participate in
the second delegation to Chiapas to support the Zapatista women
and their weaving cooperative. Support to the Zapatista women is
an ongoing project of the National Commission for Democracy in
Mexico.

The sale from the first delegation last March has been very
successful and the proceeds will be now used to bring more
Zapatista textiles to support the indigenous struggle in Chiapas.
The women's Cooperative's sales are one of the few avenues they
have to bring in money to support their families because they are
prevented from leaving their communities by threat of rape and
harassment from the Mexican military.

The Delegation will visit Chiapas on August 20-27, 1997.  It will
include visits to Zapatista Centers of Resistance and the Women's
Cooperative.

To join the Delegation call Carol Hayman at 477-3099 or call
454-8097.  Donations to support this project can be sent to Comite
de Solidaridad con Chiapas y Mexico, P. O. Box 906, Austin, TX
78767.  Seeds, medical supplies, school supplies, and other
donations can be dropped off at Ruta Maya, Fourth and Lavaca or
Resistencia Book Store, 2210B South First St., where the Committee
meets every Saturday at 4pm.  Please come by to show your support
and learn more about the struggle.

Place Your Order for a Zapatista Weaving Now!

The delegation will be buying more textiles from the Zapatista
women weavers in August.  You can place an order for a hand-woven
cotton brocade cushion cover in advance.  At our last sale we ran
out of these beautiful items very quickly.  If we know beforehand
approximately how many we need the women can make them for us.
The traditional colors are red or red and black on a white
background.  Other colors, black, blue, green, or purple on white
may be available.  Please tell us your color preference.  We may
not be able to send you the color you request, but you won't be
disappointed - all the weaving is of the finest.

Please send a check or money order for $30 plus $4 postage and
packing to:

Comite de Solidaridad con Chiapas y Mexico P. O. Box 906 Austin,
TX 78767

Include your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address.

====================== Check web sites for women in Chiapas and
other information:

http://www.igc.org/ncdm/index.html
http://www.igc.org/ncdm/sisters.htm
http://www.igc.org/ncdm/women.html
http://spin.com.mx/~floresu/FZLN/
http://www.peak.org/~joshua/fzln/ http://www.ezln.org/

For weekly news on Chiapas, Mexico and Border Issues tune to Radio
Tierra y Libertad, a weekly program produced by the Comite, and
aired on KOOP Radio, 91.7 FM Sundays at 4 PM.  Wednesdays,
Pesadilla, Musica y Cultura, 11 am to 1 pm on KOOP Radio, 91.7 FM.
San Marcos 105.9 FM KIND Sundays 10 am to 12 noon.  El despertador
de Aztlan.