[asia-apec 291] Korean workers struggle

AMRC amrc at HK.Super.NET
Tue Jan 7 21:16:14 JST 1997

>From: AMRC <amrc at hk.super.net>
>Subject: Korean workers struggle
>
>Hpong Kong
>
>Solidarity Statement in Support of the Struggle of Korean Workers
>
>In a secret sitting of the National Assembly on December 26, the Government
of Kim Young-sam, passed amendments to the Trade Union Act, Labour Standards
Act, Labour Dispute Adjustment Act, the Education Act and the Special Act
for the Promotion of Teachers, and the National Security Planning Agency
Act. This took place in the absence of any opposition party members of the
National Assembly and was done against the popular will of the Korean people.

>The amendments to six labour-related laws constitute an attack on the
fundamental rights of Korean workers. These changes include:

>* Greater powers for employers to freely dismiss workers
>* Greater powers for employers to force workers to undertake unpaid overtime
>* The unlimited right of employers to replace striking workers
>* Prohibition of payment of wages for the period of industrial disputes
>* The denial of the right to continued union membership of dismissed workers
>* A continued ban on trade union pluralism
>* Banning wage payments to union officers
>* Banning the political activities of trade unions
>* New restrictions on the right to collective action and collective bargaining
>* Continued bans on teachers' right to organise and bans on industrial
action by bank workers,     telecommunications workers, hospitals and other
public services
>* The legalisation of illegal "manpower agencies" which further repress
workers' rights

>Under these 'reforms' workers' rights to organise and bargain collectively
is being further restricted, and the right to strike and freedom of
association is being denied. The result is the destruction of the rights and
job security of all workers, and the criminalisation of the activities of
trade unions and all forms of collective action.

>In a further attack on democracy and the human rights of the Korean people,
the National Security Planning Agency Act was revised to give the Agency
greater powers. The Agency now has greater powers of investigation, arrest
and questioning thereby violating the fundamental rights of all Korean
citizens and destroying their right to privacy and personal freedom. The
Agency also has greater powers of surveillance of political and social
movement organisations.
>The National Security Planning Agency (NSPA) was created to repress the
pro-democratic forces during the era of military dictatorship. Now we see
its revival to once again attack people's movements.

>We are protesting against the Korean Government to demand:
>
>1. The repeal of the anti-worker labour laws and the National Security
Planning Agency Act.
>2. An apology from the President, Kim Young-sam to the Korean people and
the resignations of the cabinet of Prime Minister Lee Soo-sung and New Korea
Party Chairman Lee Hong-koo.
>3. The repeal of the summons issued against trade union leaders and an end
to threats of arrest.
>4. That those arrested during the demonstrations be released without being
charged.
>5. Full legal recognition of KCTU and the right to union pluralism and
freedom of association.
>6. The revision of the National Security Planning Agency Act to limit its
power and protect the rights and freedom