[asia-apec 289] appeal solidarity action for Korean workers.

AMRC amrc at HK.Super.NET
Mon Jan 6 17:44:07 JST 1997

>Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 15:29:46
>To: apwsl, maxine at reddfish.co.nz
>From: AMRC <amrc at hk.super.net>
>Subject: appeal solidarity action for Korean workers.
>
>>Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 15:29:03
>>
>>From: AMRC <amrc at hk.super.net>
>>Subject: appeal solidarity action for Korean workers.
>>Cc: International Labor Rights
>>
>>KCTU: The escalating Second Stage of the General Strike declared on 6
January at 8:00 am

>>	On 6 January, 1996, the President of the Korean Confederation of Trade
Unions (KCTU), Kwon Young-gil called on the metal workers' unions, auto
workers' unions,  construction workers' unions, the Hyundai Federation of
Trade Unions, professional workers' unions  and white collar workers' unions
to take part in the general strike - a total of 160 affiliated unions with
200,000 members of KCTU. Today workers who are going on strike demanded the
repeal of the anti- worker  labour laws, National Security Planning Agency
Act, an apology  from the President, Kim Young-sam, and the resignations of
the cabinet of Prime Minister Lee Soo-sung and New Korea Party Chairman Lee
Hong -koo.
>>        	Tomorrow the general strike will be extended to all the industral
and public sectors as  major  broadcasting trade unions (KBS, MBC, EBS,
CBS), hospital unions, and white collar workers' unions which have are total
of 2,300,000 members in  210 affiliated unions of KCTU.
>>	However, it is expected that the Korean government will  reject the
workers' demands and suppress the movement. For example, 50 union leaders
face arrest and 20 leaders of the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions
(KCTU) received summons' today. Yesterday  prosecutors warned that they
could arrest about 50 top trade union leaders  including the president of
KCTU. In spite of this warning, workers will not give up their demands and
the general  strike will continue.
>>	The president of KCTU, Kwon Young-gil said that, "Our protest strikes
will continue until President Kim Young-sam accepts our demands and he
should apologize to 12 million workers. Unless the unilaterally railroadthe
general strike will enter into the third stage of the General Strike soon."

>>How can we support the genuine workers' strike in achieving victory ?
>>
>>Protest to the Korean government:
>>
>>1) KCTU hopes that workers or any supporters overseas organise protest
rallies in front of Korean embassies in their countries.

>>2) Send protest letters to the Kim Young-sam government.
>>Fax no: 822- 855-1913
>>
>>Encourage workers in their struggle to act bravely and fight for their lives!
>>
>>* Most of the workers involved in the general strike action gave up  their
year-end annual bonus and salary for the cause of workers' rights. It is a
very difficult time for them and their families. We appeal to all concerned
groups and supporters to make donations to the strikers of KCTU so that they
may continue the strike. Every little bit will help!

>>Please send donations to the strikers to:
>>To:  Kim In Soog   (KCTU).
>>Korean (Foreign) Exchange Bank
>>account number : 141-05-1003-7
>>If you send a donation to KCTU, please inform Yoon Young-mo at the
International Department of KCTU by fax or e-mail. Fax number : 001-822-765-2011