[asia-apec 107] Re: Globalization or Internationalism?

Steve Freedkin, Managing Director steve at nautilus.org
Thu Sep 12 03:34:21 JST 1996

Hello -- I would appreciate if you would change the subscription address
for us on your list.  Instead of nautilus at nautilus.org, please make it:
LZarsky at nautilus.org

At 08:55 AM 9/11/96 -0800, you wrote:

>INTERNATIONALISM VERSUS GLOBALIZATION
>
>While internationalism would celebrate the achievements, struggles and
>creativity of the poor, and the equal rights of all peoples of the
>world to develop in dignity, sufficiency and security, globalisation
>and global capitalism requires the humiliation of hundreds of millions
>of people and keeping them in constant insecurity, pitting them
>against one another in a competitive struggle for survival.
>
>By Jeremy Seabrook Third World Network Features
>
>We are all globalisers now. The insistence on globalisation has
>eclipsed and usurped internationalism; indeed sometimes masquerades as
>if it were the same thing. It is time to rescue what internationalists
>have always worked for from the clutches of a rapaciously expansive
>and ultimately, colonising, globalisation.
>
>   We hear the arguments daily from the holders of power; the very
>fatalism with which they speak about the inevitability, the
>irreversibility of globalisation, suggests they are aware that control
>over events is slipping through their fingers. The rhetoric becomes
>more and more desperate: We must compete in an increasingly integrated
>world. We must educate and train our people for the challenge of the
>21st century. We have to take on the Asian tigers and beat them at
>their own game. (Of course, it was our game originally, which is why
>we find it so disconcerting when they beat us. What's more, it isn't a
>game; it's deadly serious, particularly for the losers, the people of
>those countries prematurely used up by work and want, and whose
>children are dying daily from avoidable sickness and malnutrition.)
>
>   Globalisation then, means the absorption of all the countries of
>the world into a single economic entity: a bleak vision of a
>choiceless future, in which 'choice' nevertheless figures so
>prominently.
>
>   Internationalists spoke of other forms of integration, more
>harmonious, less violent, more just, long before the apostles of
>globalisation began promoting their lurid vision of a whole world
>refashioned in the image of the universal market-place, from every
>platform, at every conference, at every international gathering, in
>every transnational meeting- place on earth. That other version of
>integration required only that the powerless unite, that the
>disadvantaged combine in order to resist and make common cause against
>what William Morris 100 years ago referred to as 'the iron rule of the
>World-Market'.
>
>   The fading of that internationalism is the distant, and perhaps
>most disastrous, consequence of the death of the Soviet Union. It is
>not the loss of the ideology of Communism that has cancelled hope for
>the poor: it is rather the absence of any check upon the florid and
>aggressive necessities of unchecked capitalism. Whenever poverty and
>inequality are 're-discovered' by the media, this is no longer
> [...]

Steve Freedkin
PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW EMAIL ADDRESSES:  <staffmember>@nautilus.org where
<staffmember> is one of the following:
   LZarsky,  PHayes,  Huntley,  JHunter,  NKraft,  SFreedkin or Steve,
   publications, NAPSNet, newsletter, APRENet, or Nautilus (gen. info)
Managing Director                           |       Steve at nautilus.org
The Nautilus Institute                      |       1831 Second Street
  for Security and Sustainable Development  |  Berkeley, CA 94710-1902
Tel. 510/204-9296 * Fax 510/204-9298        |                      USA