[asia-apec 104] URGENT - BAKUN - ABB - SIGN ON TODAY

IPK by way of daga <daga at hk.super.net> ipk at pactok.peg.apc.org
Wed Sep 11 11:01:37 JST 1996

Dear friends,

For your info.

meng chuo

********************************

The message below shows other international NGOs efforts on the issue. We would
appreciate if you could influence ABB in reconsidering the contract with the
project.

for your information, the signing of the contract is further postponded to 30th
September.

Wong meng chuo
IDEAL,
(member of the 40 Malaysian NGOs concerned on Bakun Dam)

URGENT - PLEASE ACT TODAY
RE:  ABB and the BAKUN HYDROELECTRIC PROJECT

PLEASE REPLY BY 4.00pm UK time or 12 noon US time on TUESDAY 10th
SEPTEMBER. Thank you.

Dear friends,

On Wednesday September 11th, in Malaysia, ABB are signing the contract
with Ekran for their part of the Bakun Hydroelectric Project. You will
recall that we sent a joint letter to ABB on the 2nd of July 1996
drawing attention to the many reasons it should not be involved with the
project. However, they are going ahead regardless. We are now
circulating this (and would be extremely grateful if you could send this
on to other groups who signed the first letter) to ask you to sign on to
a fax to be sent to ABB on Wednesday, the text of which is below. We do
think that we should let ABB know that we are deeply disappointed and
that we are not going to go away.

IF YOU ARE WILLING TO SIGN ON TO THIS, PLEASE COULD YOU EMAIL OR FAX
YOUR NAME, ORGANISATION AND COUNTRY TO GLOBAL WITNESS BY TUESDAY 10th
SEPTEMBER.  Email:  gwitness at gn.apc.org   Fax:  +44 181 563 8613

Sorry it is rather rushed but the date of signing has just been
announced. The more groups that sign on the better. The fax will be sent
to ABB headquarters and also, with a press release, to European,
Malaysian and international media.

With best wishes,

Patrick McCully                 James Lochhead  Monique Baker
International Rivers Network    KEHMA-S         Global Witness

The fax reads:

Mr Percy Barnevik
CEO, ABB Asea Brown Boveri AG
Zrich

Dear Mr Barnevik,

We are deeply disappointed to learn that you are planning to sign a
contract on Wednesday 11th September with Ekran, for your part in
constructing the highly controversial Bakun Hydroelectric Project. As
you know, the project will have severe effects on people (including the
more than 9,000 indigenous people to be forcibly resettled) and the
environment. You will also know that the recent delay in the signing of
the contract came about because of a Malaysian High Court decision which
found Ekran and the federal and Sarawak state governments in breach of
Malaysian legislation regarding the Environmental Impact Assessment
process. In particular, the rights of the indigenous peoples within the
project area were deemed to have been severely infringed. We are
disappointed that the September 3rd letter from ABB does not address
this issue.

Since the appeal made by Ekran and others has not been heard, perhaps
you can explain to the indigenous peoples, all other Malaysians, your
shareholders, to us and to the world at large why it is that you are
signing a contract to participate in a project which at this present
moment is so clearly in breach of standards of procedure which Ekran and
ABB ought to respect. Why are you endorsing the illegitimacy of the way
in which the Bakun Hydroelectric Project has been planned? Why are you
disregarding the decision of the Court and colluding in abusing the
rights of the affected indigenous peoples? Why are you not at least
waiting for the appeal to be heard and then reviewing your involvement
in the project thereafter?

ABB's action in hurrying to sign the contract is a disreputable one.
This letter is an expression of the widespread disappointment felt
around the world over your planned action. The negative social and
environmental effects of the project are certain to be extensive.
Moreover, the economic viability of the project has been called into
question by an independent financial analyst. Despite promises to the
contrary, the cost of Bakun's electricity is already the highest in
Malaysia's history. Participating in the Bakun project, especially while
the legal issues remain unresolved, will tarnish ABB's reputation. We
urge you not to sign the contract.

Yours sincerely,

---