[asia-apec 5] Bigger Battles at the Urban Poor Front

daga daga at HK.Super.NET
Thu Jul 25 13:00:28 JST 1996

From: Philippine Peasant Institute <omi.apec at gaia.psdn.iphil.net>

PRESS STATEMENT
July 19, 1996

TRADING WITH OUR LIVES:  THE HUMAN COST OF FREE TRADE

Bigger Battles at the Urban Poor Front:
Government Set to Demolish More "Squatters" as Urban Poor
Communities Prepare for Militant Opposition

In its effort to present an "eye-sore-free" Metro Manila to foreign
dignitaries attending the APEC in November, the Ramos government has laid
out a comprehensive plan to immediately demolish shanties of 432,450
families in the capital region.  This "battle plan" is contained in a
memorandum to the President signed by housing authorities, namely, Dionisio
De La Serna, Garayblas and others.  It is expected that Ramos will approve
this plan.

Some of the communities to be affected are the following:  Bonifacio Drive
Delpan, Pier 4 to 14 along R-10 up to the infamous Smokey Mountain,
North-EDSA, Fort Bonifacio, and others.  The following is the profile of
these communities: 66,334 families are located in the so-called "danger
areas" - such as Delpan as recently declared by a Manila Court, 172,451 -
government infrastructure projects, 99,175 - government lands, 94,490 -
private lands.

It is estimated that almost three million people will suffer not only from
housing dislocation but also from economic and social difficulties.  This is
one of the biggest single battles by a government against the urban poor in
the entire history of the country - and for what?  -  To please the eyes of
foreign dignitaries.  What is worse and most unfortunate is that the Ramos
government has only recently signed the Declaration of Habitat II in
Istanbul called the "Global Plan of Action" approved on June 14, 1996 and
signed by over 150 countries including the Philippines which declared a
decent place to live is the right of every human being and it condemned all
forms of forced evictions.

The urban poor communities are equally prepared to launch a massive,
large-scale militant opposition.  Today, the alliance of the KILUSAN LABAN
SA PD 772 DEMOLITION, KAHIRAPAN AT IBA PA (KALAS) and the  ALYANSA NG
MARALITANG TAGA-LUNGSOD (ALAMAT) is launched.  This urban poor alliance is
composed of local urban poor community associations in the affected areas.
If the government turn the communities cited above into "war zones", the
urban poor communities are resolved to engaged the government from one
battle to another until we win the war, or at least frustrate the Ramos'
scheme to annihilate us. We do not want war.  We want peace.   But we want
decent abode too, near our work places, near our children's schools.

Thus, we call the Ramos' government to talk peace with us by talking  about
mass housing.  Our  demands are just a very small fraction compared to the
concessions the government gave to the  MNLF, or to what it might be
prepared giving in to NDF's demands in the ongoing peace talks.  If the
government is prepared to give concessions to these groups, then there is no
reason why it is not prepared to give the following demands from our ranks
who are not yet taking up arms against the government:

1.  Moratorium on demolition until the government comes up with a clear
pro-poor program and policies with the following considerations:

	a.  Affordable mass housing program
	b.  Available work for men and women
	c.  Available basic infrastructure facilities such as water, electricity,
drainage system, recreational facilities, educational institutions, health
centers, etc.

2.  Review of all existing laws and policies pertaining to urban land use
classification with the letter and spirit  of Habitat II Declaration as the
guiding principle.

3.  In all processes at all levels, affected communities must have their
full and meaningful participation.

4.  Keep the military and police force out from these contested areas to
avoid possible violence.

We have served you well.
We can serve you even better.
But first...

As host to APEC 1996, the Philippine Government has given a substantial tax
incentive package to all hotels that will house all our foreign guests.  The
incentive, which includes duty-free importations, was offered to encourage
hotels to upgrade or renovate their facilities.

	The Dusit Nikko Manila (formerly, Hotel Nikko Manila Garden) benefits from
this tax incentive program.  The new owners saw in this an opportunity to
cut costs while giving the old Nikko Hotel a new face.  The hotel is
presently undergoing a six-month renovation that will end in time for APEC's
highlight activities in November.

	A newly-refurbished Dusit Nikko Hotel, with world-class facilities is a
commendable project.  Indeed, it is a project that we, the employees of the
Dusit Nikko Hotel, who have served our guests for two decades, would want to
be a part of--as partners.

	For, no matter how exotic the cuisine, no matter how expensive the wares;
no matter how exquisite the new design will be, a hotel will just be another
stone-cold building to any guest without the warm, cordial, friendly,
efficient service of its employees.

	Us.  Because, more than anything else, making guests feel "at home" is a
people-to-people thing.  It's not just business, it's an art.

	Yet, the Dusit Nikko's management doesn't seem to understand this.

	For one, it seems that they don't treat us,  their employees, as people.
During the renovation, the hotel management has insisted not only on a
"no-work, no-pay" policy, but more precisely, a "no-work, no-pay,
no-benefit, no-assistance, if-you-don't-like-it-then-drop-dead" policy
against us.

	For months, 502 Nikko employees have been out of work.  Many among us have
been evicted from our homes for failure to pay the rent.  Our children are
forced to have transfer to cheaper schools.  We are forced to eke out a
living by whatever means possible in these tough times.  As if these are not
enough, a handful of us are now confined in hospitals due to illnesses.
Without any assistance from our employer, how can we survive?

	We have tried to dialogue with them, reason with them, but they seem
unmoved by our plight.  A few days ago, they decided that they've heard
enough. They shut the door on our face.  Just like that.

	So we come to you.

	To the Philippine Government:  Must you treat foreign investors like kings
while your citizens are treated like rags?  A tax  incentive without
guaranteeing workers' protection?  Is this what the APEC is all about?

	To Dusit Nikko's Stockholders:  Must profit be made at the expense of the
lives of workers and their families?  Aren't you also morally responsible
for this?

	To Our Beloved Guests, and Guests-To-Be:  We smile and give comfort as we
suffer.  Knowing this, we hope you will continue to enjoy the service.

	SIGNED BY 502 EMPLOYEES OF DUSIT NIKKO MANILA

						... treat us well.