[sustran] Re: Is TDM avoid or shift?

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Oct 30 00:24:36 JST 2013

Thanks Carlos!

Yes, I recommend defining Transportation Demand Management (TDM) broadly to
include any strategy that changes travel behavior to increase transportation
system efficiency. It excludes changes in the vehicle drive technology
(e.g., it does not include hybrid or electric vehicles) but includes both
mode shifts (from automobile to walking, cycling and public transit) and
travel reduction strategies (pricing reforms, more compact community
development, telework). Carsharing is a TDM strategy to the degree that it
allows some households to reduce their vehicle ownership which leverages
reductions in their total vehicle travel.

Sincerely,
Todd Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
facebook.com/todd.litman
Office: 250-360-1560; Mobile: 250-508-5150
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"