[sustran] GIZ-SUTP Newsletter Issue 06/11 - November-December, 2011

sutp at sutp.org sutp at sutp.org
Fri Jan 13 16:19:17 JST 2012

GIZ-SUTP Newsletter
Issue 06/11 - November-December, 2011

***** A PDF version of this newsletter can be downloaded from http://www.sutp.org/newsletters/NL-SUTP-NOV-DEC-11.pdf *****
***** A html version of this newsletter can be downloaded from http://www.sutp.org/newsletters/NL-SUTP-NOV-DEC-11.html *****

In this Edition:

 * GIZ-SUTP concludes 2011 with 90 courses and 3500 trained professionals
 * GIZ-SUTP at the 6th Regional EST Forum and Urban Mobility India 2011
 * Pre-Conference Master Class by GIZ at the Urban Transport World Asia 2011 Conference in Jakarta, Indonesia
 * SUTIP-Indonesia with the Mayor of Solo at the Car-free Day
 * Changing Course in Urban Transport - An Illustrated Guide
 * GIZ Technical Document and EST paper on "Rising Automobile Dependency: How to Break the Trend?"
 * Technical Document titled “Measuring Public Transport Performance - Lessons for Developing Cities"

*******************
News from the Project
*******************

GIZ-SUTP concludes 2011 with 90 courses and 3500 trained professionals
>From the year 2003 till December 2011, GIZ-SUTP delivered 90 courses on various topics of sustainable urban transport. Varying in duration (1-10 days), these courses have managed to capture the width and depth of urban transport issues (from broad overviews to specifics on technical issues). GIZ has trained till date over 3500 participants from all over the world, which include future trainers in India and China.
Read more
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2831
----
GIZ-SUTP at the 6th Regional EST Forum and Urban Mobility India 2011
The GIZ-SUTP team participated in various sessions of the 6th Regional Environmentally Sustainable Transport (EST) Forum of the United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD) and the 4th Annual Urban Mobility Conference cum Exhibition-2011, held in parallel in New Delhi from 3-6 December 2011.The event drew policymakers, experts, practitioners, academia and researchers working in the urban transport sector from various parts of the world. GIZ used this opportunity to release some of its new publications on sustainable urban transport and conduct a training course on Public Bicycle Schemes.
Read more
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2828
----
One-day Training course on Implementing Public Bike Share Systems
On the 3rd December, GIZ-SUTP, together with ITDP and UNCRD, organized a one-day training course on Public Bicycle Sharing Schemes, as a pre-event to the Urban Mobility India 2011 Conference and the 6th Regional EST Forum. The course attracted over 30 participants from 4 countries, most of who were involved with the setting up and implementation of public bicycle schemes in their cities. The course was led by Dr. Lloyd Wright from ADB and Mr. Bradley Schroeder from ITDP. The trainers were supported by Mr. Christopher Kost, ITDP, and Mr. Santhosh Kodukula, GIZ-SUTP.
Read more
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2816
----
Transportation Demand Management Course in Bogotá
GIZ-SUTP, in cooperation with Clean Air Institute, Bogotá Chamber of Commerce and with support from Slow Research, co-organized a course on Transportation Demand Management (TDM) from December 5-6, 2011 in Bogotá, Colombia. The 2-day course was taught by international experts and practitioners, who explained the key components of a TDM strategy and how to implement them.
Read more
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2808
----
GIZ-SUTP at the Bonn Symposium 2011
>From December 1-2, 2011, GIZ-SUTP contributed to the Bonn Symposium 2011 on "Mobility, Development, Culture", by delivering two workshops (“Urban Transport Challenges in Developing Cities” and a workshop on transport and health). A panel discussion on strategies to improve and implement sustainable urban transport in cities was also held. The Symposium had 50 participants from Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Read more
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2829
----
Pre-Conference Master Class by GIZ at the Urban Transport World Asia 2011 Conference in Jakarta, Indonesia
This workshop provided a group of almost 20 consultants, mayors, developers and urban planners, with insights into the concepts of Transportation Demand Management (TDM), Transit-oriented Development (TOD) and Traffic Impact Control (TIC). The participants were informed of the practical and plausible measures that can be implemented in their cities without having excessive infrastructure requirements.
Read more
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2807
----
SUTIP-Indonesia with the Mayor of Solo at the Car-free Day
Dr. Dino Teddyputra and Mr. Manfred Breithaupt from GIZ met Mr. Jokowi, the Mayor of the Indonesian city of Solo, on November 25th, 2011 for discussions on how Solo will be furthering its efforts to reform its bus transportation system. The following day was followed by a cycle tour with the Mayor to participate in Solo's Car-free Day event. This event takes place every Sunday morning on the city's 6 km long main road. Solo is one of the four cities GIZ's Urban Transport in Indonesia Project (GIZ-SUTIP) is supporting to implement sustainable urban transport reforms.
Read more
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2821
----
30 years of successful German-Chinese cooperation
>From October 19-21 2011, the Alumni conference between the GIZ and the Ministry of Transport of the People‘s Republic of China took place in Beijing. Various speeches and three working groups were held to discuss the topic of “Green logistics for a common, climate-friendly future”.
Read more
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2815
----
Ministry of Transport (Indonesia) field visit to Germany
The German Federal Foreign Office sponsored an information tour for transport officials and decision-makers to Germany from November 6 -12, 2011. Among the participants was Dr. Elly Sinaga, Director Urban Transport of the Ministry of Transport, Indonesia. She was accompanied by Mr. Ullrich Fuhrke, Principal Advisor SUTIP and Mr. Manfred Breithaupt on a combined public transport and non-motorised transport trip through Berlin.
Read more
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2809

*******************
Upcoming Events:
*******************

 22.01.2011, Washington D.C, USA: Transportation Research Board (TRB) 91st Annual Meeting http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=56&func=details&did=552&lang=en
 26.01.2011, Washington D.C, USA: Transforming Transportation 2012 http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=56&func=details&did=564&lang=en
 07.02.2011, Brussels, Belgium: Towards low/zero-carbon urban mobility in Europe http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=56&func=details&did=591&lang=en
 08.02.2011, Brussels, Belgium: INTERMODES http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=56&func=details&did=581&lang=en
 12.02.2011, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: Saudi Urban Transport Conference 2012 http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=56&func=details&did=582&lang=en
 15.02.2011, Karlsruhe, Germany: IT-TRANS, IT Solutions for Public Transport http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=56&func=details&did=590&lang=en
 17.02.2011, Hong Kong: 2012 International Conference on Traffic & Transportation Engineering http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=56&func=details&did=585&lang=en
 27.02.2011, Sydney, Australia: Urban Transport World Australia 2012 http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=56&func=details&did=583&lang=en

For a complete list of events click here http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=56

*******************
Publications of Interest
*******************

'Changing Course in Urban Transport - An Illustrated Guide'
“Cities in Asia should transform their transport systems to provide growing urban populations with greater mobility while ensuring a healthy and attractive urban environment”, says a new book published jointly by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). The authors are Robin Hickman, Paul Fremer, Manfred Breithaupt and Sharad Saxena. The illustrated book “Changing Course in Urban Transport- An Illustrated Guide” highlights the transport challenges in Asian cities, including the growing trend towards motorized transport – a major factor behind the rise in global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The publication, launched at the 6th Regional EST Forum in New Delhi in December 2011, showcases low-carbon transport from around the world, which, if replicated on a large scale, could make Asian cities greener and more liveable.
Download here
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2825
----
GIZ Technical Document and EST paper on "Rising Automobile Dependency: How to Break the Trend?"
Developing cities are facing the crisis of increasing automobiles and thereby the consequences such as reduced air quality, road safety and economic loss. Citing the current conditions and drawing upon best practices from various cities, GIZ has produced this document as a background paper for the 6th Environmentally Sustainable Transport (EST) Forum in Delhi during 4-6 December 2011. The document has also been published as the GIZ Technical Document #8. Authored by Mr. Santhosh Kodukula, the document is 50 pages long with examples from Zurich (Switzerland), Copenhagen (Denmark), Muenster and Freiburg (Germany) and Curitiba (Brazil).
Download here
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2827
----
Technical Document titled “Measuring Public Transport Performance - Lessons for Developing Cities"
How can we make public transport a more attractive and viable mode of travel? What do our riders expect from our services and how can we serve them better? How can we make our cities more sustainable by increasing the modal shares of public transport? What sort of indicators shall we develop to evaluate and benchmark our existing public transport systems? GIZ’s latest technical document #9, titled “Measuring Public Transport Performance - Lessons for Developing Cities”, describes the role that performance measurement can play in public transportation planning and management, the need for developing cities to adopt performance evaluation and the steps for initiating this. The document, authored by Chhavi Dhingra, also presents examples of performance measurement from various cities across the world and their experiences.
Download here
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2826
----
GIZ publishes "Ecomobilidade para o Brasil" Document
GIZ worked with 11 authors from Brazil and abroad to produce a 102-page document entitled "Ecomobilidade para o Brasil", published in November 2011. The document also has a preface from Luiz Carlos Bueno de Lima, National Secretary of Transport and Urban Mobility for the Brazilian Ministry of Cities. The goal of the document is to provide specific tools of ecomobility for Brazilian cities, with discussions and examples from Brazil as well as case studies from cities in the developing and developed world, from which lessons can be drawn.
Download (currently available only in Portuguese)
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2820
----
Factsheet "Speeding up Cycling through Special Infrastructure"
Especially for daily urban travel, riding a bicycle is a healthy and environmentally friendly alternative to using a car. One important option to promote cycling is to facilitate the use of bicycles through dedicated high-quality infrastructure. The factsheet “Speeding up Cycling through Special Infrastructure” focuses on measures aimed at decreasing average travel times by creating new or optimizing existing cycle infrastructure. Case studies illustrated in this document show how such infrastructure improvements have succeeded in establishing cycling as a real opportunity to daily car commuting on short and even longer distances.
Download here
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2818
----
Module 5c: Noise and its Abatement updated
An immense number of cars, motorcycles, trucks and other motorized vehicles criss-crosses developing cities, day and night. The resulting traffic noise poses many serious health risks, and leads to a deteriorating quality of life. The revised GIZ-SUTP Module 5c “Noise and its Abatement” addresses these issues by summarizing negative impacts of traffic noise and illustrating remedial measures. The latter range from avoiding motorized traffic (especially in sensitive urban areas) to adjusting the road geometry and design. The 32-page, full colour document features updated data and improved illustrations of noise reducing measures adopted in the European context.
Download here
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2819

*******************
News from Partners and Elsewhere:
*******************

Presentations from the 6th Regional EST Forum in New Delhi from 3-6 December, 2011 are now available online
The presentations shown at the 6th Regional Environmentally Sustainable Transport (EST) Forum, recently held in New Delhi, can be downloaded from the United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD) website:
Download here
http://www.uncrd.or.jp/env/est/index_6th_est_f.htm
----
CAI-Asia publishes the fifth issue of the Green Freight and Logistics in Asia News Digest
Freight is a subject that has historically received the least attention in the transport sector worldwide, especially in Asia. Government policies tend to focus on private vehicles and public transport more than on trucks. Whether it is the introduction of cleaner fuels, fuel economy standards, tax incentives or investments in infrastructure to improve transport, the freight sector is still far behind. This is despite the huge potential to reduce fuel use and costs, and CO2 and air pollutant emissions from trucks in Asia. Prepared by the Clean Air Initiative (CAI) for Asian Cities, the ‘Green Freight and Logistics in Asia News Digest’ provides the latest news, information, statistics and events on green freight and logistics in Asia.
Download here http://cleanairinitiative.org/portal/sites/default/files/GFLogistics_Vol.1Issue5_0.pdf
For more information visit http://www.greenfreightandlogistics.org/
----
BtG organizes COP17 Side event - Tackling Climate Change and Transport: Strategies and best practices from around the world
The ‘Bridging the Gap’ (BtG) Initiative organised and held, in collaboration with the South African Ministry of Transport, an official 17th Conference of Parties (COP17) side event on the 6th December, 2011 in Durban. Experts from multilateral development banks joined governmental officials from Colombia, Africa and Indonesia to discuss climate mitigation strategies in the transport sector.
Read more
http://www.transport2012.org/transport-climate-change-news/2011-12-15,cop17-side-event-dec6.htm
----
SLoCaT Partnership pushes for Sustainable Transport
In order to help shape the outcome of the "Rio+20" United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD) to be held in June 2012, the SLoCaT Partnership released its call to the UN to adopt a Sustainable Development Goal. This consisted of a Press Release and a statement document. The statement is submitted for consideration as an input to the compilation document, which helps develop the zero draft of the declaration for the Rio+20 Global Conference on Sustainable Development.
View Press Release here http://www.slocat.net/sites/default/files/slocatfiles/sdg_press_release_final.pdf
View Submission Document here http://www.uncsd2012.org/rio20/content/documents/241Transport%20CSD%20Submission%20SloCaTpartnership.pdf
----
WHO publishes Transport Report as part of Health in the Green Economy Series
This open project from EPOMM - the The World Health Organization (WHO) launched the transport report of the series "Health in the Green Economy" at United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change’s (UNFCCC) 17th Conference of the Parties (COP17) in Durban, South Africa. The report suggests that low-carbon transport measures can provide "win-win" options for developed and developing countries that benefit health. The report identifies some of the "win-win" strategies that can help reduce climate change in one of the world's most polluting sectors, and generate large health benefits at the same time.
More Information
http://www.transport2012.org/transport-climate-change-news/2011-12-09,who-transport-report.htm
----
2012 Sustainable Transport Award
The 2012 Sustainable Transport Award will be held from 6-7:30 pm, January 24, 2011 at the International Ballroom East at the Washington Hilton Hotel during the annual Transport Research Board (TRB) conference. The finalists are: Buenos Aires (Argentina), Cape Town (South Africa), Medellín (Colombia) and, San Francisco (USA).
More Information
http://www.itdp.org/get-involved/sustainable-transport-award/finalists
----
New VTPI publication titled "Evaluating Public Transit as an Energy Conservation and Emission Reduction Strategy"
The Victoria Transport Policy Institute (VTPI) published “Evaluating Public Transit as an Energy Conservation and Emission Redution Strategy”. This report investigates the role that public transit improvements can play in conserving energy and reducing emissions. High quality transit service that attracts large numbers of travellers (who would otherwise drive) and supports Transit-oriented Development (TOD) can provide significant energy conservation and emission reduction benefits, plus other savings and benefits. When these factors are considered, public transit service improvements often turn out to be cost-effective emission reduction strategies, particularly if implemented as an integrated package with other transport and land use policy reforms.
Download
http://www.vtpi.org/tran_climate.pdf
----
Universal Access to Bus Rapid Transit: Design, Operation, and Working with The Community
This publication by Tom Rickert, Executive Director, Access Exchange International, describes practical ways to accommodate people with mobility impairments in public transit system planning. It describes three composite case studies of typical experiences of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) passengers with mobility impairments.
Download
http://www.vtpi.org/AEI_BRT.pdf
----
EU Guidelines for a Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans
After recognizing the need for a common European Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP), the project ‘Action Plan on urban mobility’ published ‘Guidelines – Developing and Implementing a Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan’. The guidelines describe the essential requirements and include practical examples, tools and references. They aim to provide and transfer knowledge from different European regions and to show good planning approaches within a sustainable urban mobility planning process.
Download
http://www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2817
----
Parisar publishes first-ever Commuter-centric Performance Report for a city bus service
Parisar recently published a commuter-centric performance report for Pune's city bus service, PMPML. The service was graded on the following aspects: reliability, comfort, convenience and affordability. The score for each aspect was based on various parameters and used data from PMPML, Parisar surveys and a commuter feedback survey. The important point is that public transport companies conduct such surveys on their own to find where they are lagging. In this way, the can undertake targeted efforts to improve their services.
More Information
http://parisar.org/activities/analysesreports/137-pmpml-report-card.html
----
Cars and Carbon - Automobiles and European Climate Policy in a Global Context" – Chapter 'Mobility Management Solutions to Transport Problems Around The World'
The chapter 14 of the new book “Cars and Carbon”, titled “Mobility Management Solutions to Transport Problems Around the World”, describes the role that mobility management (MM) can play in meeting transport planning objectives. The chapter has been written by Todd Litman, Victoria Transport Policy Institute (VTPI).
More Information
http://www.springer.com/environment/global+change+-+climate+change/book/978-94-007-2122-7

*******************
A PDF version of this newsletter can be downloaded from http://www.sutp.org/newsletters/NL-SUTP-NOV-DEC-11.pdf
A html version of this newsletter can be downloaded from http://www.sutp.org/newsletters/NL-SUTP-NOV-DEC-11.html

SUTP Disclaimer:

On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the GIZ through its sector project "Transport Policy Advisory Services" supports developing cities to reach their sustainable transport goals by providing technical assistance on transport projects and disseminating information regarding sustainable urban transport. This newsletter is a part of the activities of this project. The information in this newsletter has been carefully researched and diligently compiled.
Nevertheless, GIZ does not accept any liability or give any guarantee for the validity, accuracy and completeness of the information provided. GIZ assumes no legal liabilities for damages, material or immaterial in kind, caused by the use or non-use of provided information or the use of erroneous or incomplete information, with the exception of proven intentional or grossly negligent conduct on the side of GIZ.
GIZ reserves the right to modify, append, delete parts or the complete online content without prior notice, or to cancel any publication temporarily or permanently.
The third party links are not under the control of GIZ and GIZ is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site.
Links to the GIZ-SUTP homepage are admissible if the GIZ-SUTP website retrieved becomes the sole content of the browser window.

Contact us: Any further queries regarding this document can be addressed to sutp at sutp.org. All the documents mentioned here are available for download from the SUTP website: http://www.sutp.org

Copyright © 2011 GIZ Sustainable Urban Transport Project.