[sustran] Re: India's blind love for cars (The Hindu)

Cornie Huizenga cornie.huizenga at slocatpartnership.org
Mon Jan 9 10:56:03 JST 2012

Thanks for sharing -  Did you see the keywords used by the Hindu.

, Cars<http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/article2780985.ece?homepage=true#>
, urban middle-class<http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/article2780985.ece?homepage=true#>
, nuclear family<http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/article2780985.ece?homepage=true#>
, car loans<http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/article2780985.ece?homepage=true#>
, social mobility<http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/article2780985.ece?homepage=true#>
, Narrow roads<http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/article2780985.ece?homepage=true#>
, traffic jam<http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/article2780985.ece?homepage=true#>

Interesting to see the sequence which ends with narrow roads - traffic
jam.  It appears as if the person doing the key words is somehow caught in
the same blind love as is being described in the article.

It is interesting to see that the Indian press is coming up with an
increasing number of opinion pieces questioning the sustainability of the
current motorization trends in Indian cities. But it seems that the
emphasis is still very much on (re)stating the problem.  Only towards the
end a brief outline is given of what is called: "another approach":* there
must be policies in place to limit use of cars. Cars should be heavily
taxed, more so diesel ones. Banks should go easy on car loans as part of
long-term energy and environment management. Business and central districts
in a city should ramp up their parking rates, as in places like London.And,
we should ensure that our cities don't grow too large. The ideal city is
one where we can cycle from one place to another, like some of the prettier
European towns. The aesthetics of such an existence would outdo that
conjured up for us by auto design gurus. By the way, how come the cyclist
does not figure in our energy and transport planning?*

If we would like to see *another approach *towards motorization in India I
think that we need to do more than restating the problem. We need to
present the decision makers with more detailed alternative approaches on
how India and Indian cities can develop economically and socially without
sacrificing the city to the car.  Singapore and Shanghai generally are seen
as two of the more successful cities in terms of economic development
strategy. Both cities are considered examples of modern urban development.
Yet, these are the two cities which against the then current thinking 15
years ago imposed severe restrictions on the growth of private
motorization.

Generally, the more attractive cities are the ones with a high modal split
in favor of public transport, walking and cycling.

What it boils down to according to me is a discussion on whether government
has a duty to provide each citizen with the access to goods and services in
support of economic and social advancement or whether it needs to provide
citizens with the required road space to use their own cars. Or, can we
restrict the freedom of choice when it comes to the way in which people
move.

I think that it is by now generally accepted that government through
planning ordinances can restrict the freedom of people to live in nice New
Delhi bungalow style houses (although that is what the majority of people
would want) and impose density requirements which result in the building of
apartment complexes.  Similarly, while 30 years ago rules and regulations
were in favor of those who wanted to smoke, there is now general acceptance
that the rights on the non-smokers should prevail over those of the
smokers.

Environmental and developmental organizations have a joint task to educate
decision makers on the lack of sustainability of current motorization. They
also have a joint obligation to explain to decision makers what the
alternative should be. Part of this is a discussion with  citizens on what
they can and can not expect as part of the growth and development of their
cities.

Cornie

--
Cornie Huizenga