[sustran] Re: India's blind love for cars (The Hindu)

Sarath Guttikunda sguttikunda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 11:42:18 JST 2012

Dear Cornie and Co.,

To quote Sujit Patwardhan  - *"Most of our newspapers write more often
about the new big flyover built by the city presuming that traffic
congestion will disappear once the flyover is up and running. Actually the
opposite happens and the Hindu should be congratulated for exposing this
myth."
*

 Following the Auto-Expos, we saw a number of articles published on the new
car models, interviews with the likes of  Ratan Tata, and interviews with
the celebrities promoting various brands, but only 1 or 2 talked about the
buses at the show. In the middle of all these articles, this piece stands
out for raising an important issue, though for us, it looks like they are
merely restating the problem.

>From the article - "*generally look upon rapid urbanisation as an
inevitable and desirable consequence of high growth (in itself, a
problematic notion), without saying anything on how urbanisation can deepen
our energy problems. It could have observed that by promoting expressways
and cars, the government and banks are encouraging energy inefficiency, not
just through higher direct consumption of petrol and, worse still, diesel,
but also through needless use of primary energy to make steel, cement and
tar for flyovers, and longer and wider roads*."

This is much better than an article we saw in September, following a
presentation by Joshua Apte (from University of Berkeley) on the exposure
rates for passengers traveling in 3-wheelers. The title for that piece was
"AC Cars May Keep You Fit" (Times of India)
http://urbanemissions.blogspot.com/2011/09/exposure-to-particulate-pollution-in.html

With regards,
Sarath

--
*Dr. Sarath Guttikunda*
Founder and Analyst, UrbanEmissions.Info (New Delhi, India)