[sustran] Cities, Transport and Equity in Africa - Contacts requested

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Dec 21 00:53:32 JST 2012

Greetings,

We are trying to figure out how to make a contribution to the challenges of
improving transport and life quality for the one billion people who live in
Africa today, increasingly in cites, and for whom life on the street is very
very hard.

To that end we are trying to develop a simple repertory of people,
organizations, associations, blogs  and NGOs especially concerned with
improving transport in African cities.  It would be very kind if you might
share your contact information with us. For our part we will be pleased to
keep you informed of our results if any.
We have a small new website on Facebook under  Thinking about Africa
Transport, Efficiency and Equity, which you can see at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thinking-about-Africa-Transport-Efficiency-and
-Equity where we shall try to keep up on these issues.
Kind thanks/Eric Britton
Cities, Transport and Equity in Africa
In a fair world it should be impossible to ignore the needs of close to one
billion of the poorest people on the earth living in its second-largest and
second most-populous continent. With already one-third of the population
living in cities, most of whom in slums, with the flow of people from the
country side continuing at record rates.
The transportation arrangements in most people’s daily lives in Africa come
in several flavors, few of them appetizing: ranging from world-class traffic
jams making it close to impossible to negotiate the streets of the larger
cities for hour each day, to at the other extreme no provision for vital
survival transport (water, wood for fires, food) for the remainder of the
continent.
Now the fact is that most of transport policy and investments on the
continent are aimed at the creation and extension of motorized transport
infrastructure. And it is precisely this strategy that had led to the
present imbalance.
The key to unlocking the African Streets challenge can be summed up in a
single phrase: Fair transport for women and children. What works well about
this, is that when women and children are fairly served everybody ends up
being better off. This can and should be our central theme
So, in 2013 World Streets hopes to do what we can to give far more attention
to the challenges and accomplishments of fair transport in Africa.  Get in
touch and help us advance this effort.  Your children will be proud of you.

  Francis  Eric Knight-Britton, Managing Director /  Editor
   <http://www.newmobility.org/> New Mobility Partnerships   |
<http://www.worldstreets.org/> World Streets  |  W/S on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/worldstreets>    | On Twitter
<https://twitter.com/worldstreets>   |  xCar <http://xcar.org/>
  9, rue Gabillot   69003 Lyon France  |  T. +339 8326 9459| M. +336 5088
0787  | E.  <mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org> eric.britton at ecoplan.org   |
S. newmobility
  9440 Readcrest Drive. Los Angeles, CA  90210  |   Tel. +1 213  985 3501  |
eric.britton at newmobility.org  |  Skype: ericbritton

P Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement--------------------