[sustran] Re: Is Asia moving in the direction of restricting the use of private cars?

Paul Minett paulminett at tripconvergence.co.nz
Wed Apr 4 08:16:26 JST 2012

Chris

I like your post, but have issue with the idea of MASC being both carsharing
(rental by the hour) and ridesharing (more people per vehicle).  I agree
that carsharing is a valuable component that supports ridesharing (a vehicle
for mid-day errands for those who did not bring a car).  If we let MASC be
about 'shared cars' (rental by the hour), then your hierarchy should have a
sixth component: ridesharing.  Alternatively, change 'transit' to 'shared
rides' being a combination of passengership on any vehicle.  I note that
transit is a catch-all for buses and trains, but since one is road-based and
the other is not, I think they should be separated in your hierarchy.

For your interest, here is a great story about ridesharing from the BBC:

I also note that people get value from their investment in a car even if it
is not being used.  It represents 'bottled convenience', and could be
thought of in the same way as a spare room in the house, which is not used
every day but is there for the times it is needed.  The return on investment
is made up of a combination of the availability AND the use.

Just some thoughts.  Happy to discuss further and hear your reactions.

BTW, we are planning a 'Ridesharing Symposium' in Oakland CA for the 24th of
May.  Any chance you could come along?

Paul Minett
Ridesharing Institute
www.ridesharinginstitute.org