[sustran] Re: Is Asia moving in the direction of restricting the use of private cars?

Chris Bradshaw hearth at ties.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Apr 4 00:02:24 JST 2012

 > Guess who was the most vocal in calling for radical solutions: "we
should not build more highways and we should control the number of
cars", yes, it was the Assistant Minister for Environment from
Indonesia. Change is in the air and we should cultivate it.

And part of that change is to consider a "step four" in the process of
municipalities' consciousness in getting it right re: urban transport.

Rather than focus on the /use/ of cars, focus on their numbers in the
city's population.  Cars are a problem, even when not on the road,
especially if each car belongs to a single person who is motivated to
get  value from his/her investment.  This suggests a different system of
/access/ to cars.

Asian cities are already laid compactly out to support the "sustainable
transportation hierarchy": 1) walking, 2) cycling, 3) transit, 4) MASC
(metered access to shared cars*), and 5) private cars (OPOCO,
one-person, one-car orientation).  All that is needed is for access to
cars that are not private, but are part of private or public fleets.
The charges for access can automatically build in time-of-day surcharges
that will automatically encourage their use for ridesharing at peak
times, and each minute the car is on the road or even in a parking
space, fees can be charged and collected electronically.  Ownership fees
should also be introduced (as I believe several Asian countries/cities
now do).  Cities should find it easy to look at its current
infrastructure and determine what the maximum number of cars it can
handle, and then set this as a limit in its planning documents.

Besides MASC's ability to tackle the issues that "green car" agendas do
not (road collisions, sprawl, congestion, obesity), it is especially
good a tackling transporation inequity, a serious issue in emerging
countries.  MASC can provide measured access to cars to all members of
society, rather than allowing car-ownership to set the access bar too high.

Chris Bradshaw
Ottawa, Canada

* carsharing, taxis, car-rental, ridesharing