[sustran] Re: "Valid" PRT analysis

bruun at seas.upenn.edu bruun at seas.upenn.edu
Fri May 27 04:29:32 JST 2011

Steve

BAA must represent the public interest as airports have a lot of
externalities. They don't get to be
irresponsible.

If I understand correctly, the Podcar carries it own batteries instead
of drawing from the guideway. Nor does it have positive guidance in
case of tire failure. I don't consider this to be an advanced design.

There is no such thing as an apolitical PT evaluation. Multi-criteria
evaluation of PT inherently includes
public concerns that are reflected in political decisions about
investment priorities and weighting of non-monetary costs and benefits.

I also fully agree with Lee Schipper that it is vitally important to
trace what economists blandly call the "incidence" of costs and
benefits. There is something wrong with an evaluation/decision making
process that usually aims benefits at one geographic or demographic
sector and usually makes another one bear most of the costs. I
consider PRT to be another example of project that is aimed at a
higher demographic but would be very likely to ulimately be monetarily
paid for, in part, by the general public.  Certainly the non-using
public would bear the externalities of this network running around in
the sky without being able to afford to use it. It might also
interfere with the construction of more high capacity systems like
BRT, LRT, RRT,etc they could afford to use.

Eric Bruun