[sustran] Bus pricing negatively impacting Bike Use in China/Other countries?

Allie Thomas allietberkeley at gmail.com
Thu May 12 07:53:52 JST 2011

I'm looking for any research that focuses on how pricing policies have
negatively impacted bike use. Currently, with low public transit fares (bus
and subway) in Beijing, fewer people are biking. I'm not suggesting this is
the only reason for the decrease, but some Chinese officials feel that the
government's decision to slash subway and bus fares has definitely made an
impact. Bus prices have been reduced from 1 or 2 rmb to 0.40 rmb for all
buses. Subway fares are 2 rmb anywhere in the city (no graduated fares like
in Shanghai).

Any information on this would be great.

Also, if anyone knows of any journal articles, etc on how low public transit
fares negatively impact quality of service as well as safety would be great.
The subway in Beijing is getting overcrowded esp. during rush hour and
they've had to restrict the number of people entering certain subway stops.
Buses are just as overcrowded as well.

I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. I posted it five days ago to the mailing
list and it never came through.

cheers,

--
Allie Thomas