[sustran] What High-Speed Rail Means For America

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Feb 9 17:51:32 JST 2011

In our present context I thought it was not only timely but also generous
that we be reminded that Britain is not alone when it comes to high hopes
for HSR.

RECONNECTING AMERICA APPLAUDS
OBAMA HIGH-SPEED RAIL INITIATIVE

(February 8, 2011) --  Today, in Philadelphia, Vice President Joe Biden,
accompanied by Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, announced a $53 billion,
six-year program to accelerate construction of the nation's high-speed rail
network. The plan calls for $8 billion in fiscal year 2012 to jumpstart the
program.

Reconnecting America President and CEO John Robert Smith, who attended the
announcement, remarked that our nation is at a precipice, and the economic
and environmental challenges we now face require a new way of thinking about
how we create connections between cities and regions and how we can support
the economic health of communities of all shapes and sizes.

 "A National High-Speed Rail System is not only an opportunity to redefine
how we travel and how our regional economies grow," Smith said, "it
represents the type of innovation and progress that can secure a better
future for our grandchildren."

Over the last 50 years, the federal government has spent more than $400
billion building our interstate highway system. The interstate system opened
new territory for economic development and created the interconnected
regional economies that drive our growth today. However, with an additional
100 million citizens expected by 2050, the nation needs new infrastructure
that has the ability to move more people in more places and at a higher
speed.

New investments are already showing measurable results. Since prior funding
raised speeds between Harrisburg, PA, and Philadelphia to 110 mph, the
corridor has seen rail ridership rise by 57 percent.  In fact, more
passengers now travel from Harrisburg to Philadelphia - and from
Philadelphia to New York City and Washington D.C. - by rail than by plane.

What this means is less demand for foreign oil, lowering our trade deficit;
less carbon emissions, yielding significant environmental benefits; and an
expanded job pool for every community connected to the system.

"We applaud the administration's vision of connecting higher-speed rail to
80% of American households within 25 years, and today's announcement will
move us closer to realizing this bold American ideal," Smith said.

The Vice President did refer to John Robert Smith in his former role as
Mayor of Meridian, MS, and the development of Meridian's Union Station.  We
will post the transcript of his remarks when it becomes available.

# # #