[sustran] Re: Is carsharing irrelevant for the Global South?

Roger Gorham roger.gorham at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 23:55:43 JST 2010

Eric,

OK, I'll bite.  I think that the question really depends on what you mean by
car-"sharing" and what prevailing wage rates are (which itself ultimately
depends on whether you are talking about middle, low, or very-low income
countries).

If by car-sharing you mean having relatively hassle-free access to
automobility without the need to own and maintain a car by people with means
to otherwise do so, then most cities in the global "south" already have
car-sharing.  They are called taxis.  The main function of car-sharing is to
variabilize a formerly fixed or sunk cost.  In many low- and very low-income
countries with very low wage rates, it is hard to envision a circumstance in
which the variabilized costs of access to a fleet of self-drive vehicles
could be made to be lower than the already-variabilized costs of access to
taxis.

Perhaps there would be certain niche markets in which some wealthier middle
and upper-middle class people in low-income countries might prefer to take a
well-maintained self-drive fleet vehicle than use a (often poorly
maintained) taxi, but this niche would barely make a dent on overall urban
mobility, and even there, I cannot envision a circumstance where you could
convince these people in large numbers to choose car-sharing over owning
their own vehicle.

Car-sharing becomes more viable the higher your average wage rates, so I
think your suggestion for transportation planners and policy makers to
follow development elsewhere would only make sense (perhaps) for middle
income countries.

Roger Gorham