[sustran] Eric, Can Europe de-carbonise transport?

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Mar 23 22:01:51 JST 2010

Oh dear.

This thing (below) that just slithered in under the door this morning
addressed to my first name with almost a friendly slap on the back, is
interesting for at least one reason, and in fact I intend to publish an
editorial today in World Streets that looks directly at this topic. Notice,
they are uniformly and without another thought proposing a clean car, clean
fuel (clean mind) future for "decarburizing transport" in Europe. Oops.

Here are two bits of today's piece that I offer up as an appetizer:

Proposition 1.            Fred Salvucci's neat little meta-equation, which
he comment in his yesterday's lecture in World Streets:

cid:image001.png at 01CACA8B.59225E90

Proposition 2.            And this on the importance of knowing about
single-action bias from CRED - Center for Research on Environmental
Decisions, Columbia University

focus and simplify their decision making. Individuals responding to a threat
are likely to rely on one action, even when it provides only incremental
protection or risk reduction and may not be the most effective option.
People often take no further action, presumably because the first one
succeeded in reducing their feeling of worry or vulnerability. This
phenomenon is called the single-action bias.

If this is the sort of things that our friend at the Commission are touting
as " de-carbonise transport", well then sustainability is at risk. How can
we bring them around to understanding what the sustainability challenge is
really all about the right hand half of Fred's equation? For now this is not
the main line they appear to be pushing. But it should be. Eh?

Comments?

Eric Britton

Note: New Paris tel. +331 7550 3788 . Kindly change your records.

World Streets  .   <http://www.worldstreets.org/> www.worldstreets.org
Open Edition: www.open.worldstreets.org

8/10, rue Jospeh Bara  .  Paris 75006 France

+331 7550 3788  .   <mailto:eric.britton at newmobility.org>
eric.britton at newmobility.org  .  Skype newmobility

New Mobility Partnerships   .  <http://www.partners.newmobility.org>
www.partners.newmobility.org

9440 Readcrest Drive  .   Los Angeles, CA 90210

+1 213 984 1277 .   <mailto:fekbritton at gmail.org> fekbritton at gmail.org .
Skype ericbritton