[sustran] Re: The only good monorail, is an old monorail (maybe).

Jains alok.priyanka at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 02:07:55 JST 2010

Eric,

The article below strengthens your point.

Alok

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=TOIM/2010/01/30&EntityId=Ar00400&GZ=T&AppName=1&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T
Monorail to carry less, cost more than MetroChittaranjan Tembhekar | TNN

Mumbai: The monorail, which had a show run on Republic Day, may end up as
little more than a feeder to the Metro and suburban trains, experts fear.
This is because the monorail can pack in only a total of 560 passengers in
four coaches, compared to the metro’s capacity of 1,500. Moreover, the
monorail’s doors will refuse to close if the number of passengers in any of
the coaches exceeds their capacity of 140.
    The Metro too will remain stationary till its doors shut but it may not
be so sensitive to overloading. And more interesting, the metro will not
only carry more than double the passengers of the mono, but at a much lesser
cost. The cost of the 12 km Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar Metro rail project is
Rs 2,365 crore while that of 19 km mono rail between Jacob Circle and
Chembur via Wadala is Rs 2,460 crore.
    “The carrying capacity is higher in the Metro and the monorail is more
like a feeder to the Metro and suburban trains. Monorail won’t work unless
it is properly inter-connected with other modes of transport. For low
commuter density and congested areas, the bus transit system could have been
a good option,” said urban transportation expert Beena Balkrishnan.
    Agreed another public transport expert Ashok Datar: “We should not
consider only the per kilometre cost of the monorail or the Metro but the
cost per kilometre per thousand passengers during peak and non-peak hours.
If all benefits are considered, the Metro may give better results.”
    However, Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA)
officials pointed out that the monorail was being built through congested
but low-commuter-density areas which would otherwise have been untouched by
suburban rail, buses and the Metro rail too. The Metro, on the other hand,
was being planned for high-commuter-potential routes where ample space is
available for construction and hence it would be wrong to compare the two
modes of transport. The MMRDA plans to build four mono routes —one in Mumbai
and others in Thane, Kalyan and Bhiwandi— and nine Metro routes.