[sustran] The only good monorail, is an old monorail (maybe).

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sun Jan 31 02:03:28 JST 2010

Dear Ashok and others,

Thanks for sharing that Times of India article. Glad to see that someone is
pointing out one or two of the downsides of this inappropriate project.

But I am somewhat disappointed that no one on our Sustran list thus far
seems to want to step forward and help us enumerate all the reasons why
monorails are such a brain dead concept.

Someone tell me that I am wrong, but among the many flagrant
disadvantages/absurdities of the monorail concept for cities, include:

1.    They cost far too much money given the level of service they provide

2.    They don't (really) go anywhere (i.e., where they are needed in a
many-to-many world)

3.    Good transportation is supposed to be as close to seamless as we can
make it – and they are anything but, cut off from the rest as they are by
definition

4.    Limited capacity (per buck spent)

5.    They are a visual intrusion (scar) on the city scape

6.    The ignore, they actually degrade the street in many ways – which is
the very heart of the city

7.    They are, to a pylon, to a track, to a car, to a station, ugly as sin
(my old grandmother's expression).

8.    If they need switches, the space requirement becomes complicated.

9.    Emergencies are very messy.

10. They don't do the basic job that is needed.

11. They saddle the city with debt.

12. To be "cost effective" (ho ho), they cannot provide affordable service
for the majority

13. They are not sustainable by any measure

14. They are often the project of industrial-financial-political interest
alliances and even, if one digs deep, corruption. (As so often is the case
with big ticket transport and other public investments.)

By the way, did anyone note that almost to the day as Mumbai joyously
welcomed their first test car the Las Vegas Monorail Co has filed for
bankruptcy?  Just thought I would mention it.

In summary: They are so awful, so thoroughly dysfunctional that I even have
difficulty in anyone trying to justify them (or not) in terms of anything
like "relative CO2 efficiency". This I see as a splendid project for a MA of
PhD student sharpening their tools, but when it comes to the politics of
transportation they defy common sense.

So out they go.

(I invite comment and corrections as always).

Eric Britton

PS. Ask me what's better, what gives more sustainable transport bang per
buck than a monorail?