[sustran] Re: The tenth "Dia sin carro" (Car Free Day) in Bogotá

Carlos Felipe Pardo cpardo at itdp.org
Wed Feb 10 01:13:41 JST 2010

Hi Eric,

Thanks for forwarding Fabio's article, it is very useful in terms of its
recognition of your contributions and Peñalosa's to Carfree day in
Bogotá (they should have mentioned Oscar Díaz more prominently, since he
was the actual hands-on guy during the planning and implementation of
the first carfree day!).

Regarding the 10th "anniversary" of the CFD in Bogotá, it was a pity
that the municipality had very few activities organized for that day.
They only did 2 (somehwat related) things which were a public signing of
a document that stipulates that Diesel will now be 50 ppm and the
inauguration of a "hotline" to call if you see a "chimney bus" (a bus
that is spewing black fumes).

 From our side (citizens, civil organizations), we organized a series of
bicycle rides and wrote article in the newspapers, and appeared in TV
promoting the concept of CFD. We reiterated that the CFD is not just a
decree that must be followed, but an experience that should be taken as
an example for the rest of the year, in which people should conclude
that they can actually ride a bike or bus (or walk!) to work or study
without the need of a car. We had lots of coverage, but the day would
have gone much better if the municipality would have contributed (they
explicitly told us they were not interested in doing anything "big"),
and if citizens would not be so in love with their cars.

Best regards,

Carlosfelipe Pardo
Country Director, Colombia
Institute for Transportation & Development Policy (ITDP)

Regional Office
Carrera 7 Nº 79B-15, Oficina 404
Bogotá, DC, COLOMBIA
Tels: +57 (1) 211-0654 / 235-4240 - Fax: +57 (1) 211-0654
Cel 320 837 5858

Headquarters
127 W. 26th St. Suite 1002
New York, NY 10001, USA
Tel +1 (212) 629-8001 - Fax +1 (212) 629-8334
Promoting environmentally sustainable and equitable transportation worldwide
*consider the environment: please think*