[sustran] Re: Regional focus for sustran-discuss: Asia or the globalSouth?

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Sun Jun 7 20:34:53 JST 2009

Dear Paul,

Thanks for stimulating this discussion.

- I agree that there should be clearer regional focus. I support the suggestion from Carlos about 'Global South'. I think there is great value in sharing challenges, practice, experience, and opinion across the continents. I note that some not-so-south locations share characteristics of society or transportation
- I would not exclude contribution of experience from 'Global North' - i.e. from North America, Europe and Australia/NZ (which of course are the most South of all). However, they should be in an 'additive' way to discussion which keeps its focus on the target regions
- We need to avoid analysis or judgement which uses the perspective and value set of 'Global North' to comment on 'Global South', except in cases where this is clearly useful and adds value
- We should exclude the use of Sustran forum by 'Global North' participants as yet another place to fight out their own old arguments

I join with others to warmly congratulate you on achieving 10 years of Sustran.

With best wishes,

Brendan.
Brendan Finn          e-mail : etts at indigo.ie          tel : +353.87.2530286