[sustran] Public bicycle planning, priorities, strategies

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Jul 25 18:06:11 JST 2008

This is an important point Stephen, and let me see if I can reassure a bit.

With a couple of dozen public bike projects already rolling on the street in
quite a range of different cities, configurations and cycling environments,
and with literally hundreds of cities and consultants raking through all
this with a view to developing sound plans for their own projects, one point
concerning policy and practice is soaring above all the rest.

And that is that if any city or group tries to put on the street a public
bike project with broad public access without first ensuring at least
minimum conditions for safe cycling, this is not only a gross error but also
in fact a criminal act. Why? Well, because cyclists  who are all of a sudden
launched into a “car-war” environment are going to be injured and killed in
numbers way above the historic statistical mean.

1.     The supporting infrastructure must be there – and it must match with
the travel patterns of city cyclists

2.     This infrastructure must be carefully maintained to a high standard

3.     It must be properly signed and marked (street paint, etc.)

4.     The streets on which the cyclists transit must be adequately
protected by the police

5.     Effective educational campaigns must be launched, both for cyclists
and for motorists

6.     (And I believe personally that those people who make these decisions
should use the system only a daily basis themselves – thus ensuring the
tightest possible feedback loops if and when any troubles or anomalies
surface)

That I can safely offer is the state of the art as of 25 July 2008, and
anyone who launches a project without ensuring these preparations is not
only behind the curve, but dangerously behind the curve.

The second part of this informal answer to your concern, is that a very
significant impact of public bike projects got right, is that they bring
more cyclists out on the street, which gives you both (a) strength in
numbers and (b) a proportionately higher profile for cycling which in turn
gets both media and policy attention. This is a very positive synergy and if
you look at the leading city bike projects you can see it at work.

You last point: about how to make this work in “poor countries” is something
on which we a number of others are currently working. Stay tuned.

Eric Britton