[sustran] How to pay for Public Transport

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Fri Feb 15 05:08:37 JST 2008

>  in a recent posting Yasmin Chowdhury wrote: "...Sounds like a bargain to me!"

IN a recent post I mentioned that it was very unfortunate that cities
had to rely on advertising - some of it very anti public transport - to
pay for public transport (collective and individual)... while
governments paid for all sorts of silly or serious - sometimes deadly -
things.

I am not entirely sure it is off topic but sometimes it seems like we
talk about countries as if they only have transportation systems. I
don't mean that urban planning for reducing the need mobility or energy
sources aren't mentioned often enough in Sustran, New Mob., Lots Less
Cars - and they aren't - but that as proponents of sustainable transport
in various places we are just playing with whatever the government at
the time - and successive governments - have left over from all the
other spending.

So, is there something we can or want to do as IDENTIFIED sustainable
transport supporters against, e.g. the War in Iraq? To say we are not
political or partisan misses the point: One new jet fighter equals a lot
of padded seats (or one <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22> costs the
same as at least 200 buses).

Thanks,

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunni 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net

CAR is over. If you WANT it.