[sustran] Re: UN "ambassador" for public transport?

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Tue May 22 02:48:17 JST 2007

Hi,

I like "Streets for People" too and Midler is okay but Sandra Oh is
younger. The most important thing it seems is their ability to be
identified with by the target audience(s) and also that they are
credible in the subject area, though not necessarily an activist of any
sort.

- T

Chris Bradshaw wrote:
> I missed this discussion a week ago.
>
> I favour "Streets for People" Ambassador.  "New Mobility" is ambiguous, as
> it would mean 'cars' in the developing world, and 'mobility' in my mind is
> juxtaposed with what roads are all about: access.  As to ABC (anything but
> cars), that is emphasizing what we are against, rather than what we are for.
> And 'sustainable transportation' uses two long, technical terms that will
> bore, rather than enliven.
>
> "Streets for People", the title of one of the first books championing
> walking in cities (by Rudofsky, I think), also offers support for the 1
> million people -- a large % of whom are pedestrians -- who lose their lives
> each year being run down by motor vehicles.  Never hurts to have the health
> 'angle' covered.
>
> As to someone filling it, I feel it has to be someone with _both_ a high
> profile outside our field and a personal commitment to our work.
>
> I nominate Bette Midler, who, during a Charlie Rose interview (U.S. Public
> broadcasting) some time ago said that she wanted to retire from performing
> in just a few years and take up urban planning causes.  More recently, she
> has championed community gardens on vacant lots in her native NYC (also the
> native city of the late Jane Jacobs).  And she is a woman.
>
> Someone mentioned another woman, Grey's Anatomy actress Sandra Oh.  She is
> also non-White.  And, she is from an Ottawa suburb, where her parents still
> live and where she has announced she will be spending part of her summer.
> But I don't know her interests outside acting.
>
> Chris Bradshaw
> Ottawa

> IMPORTANT NOTE to everyone who gets sustran-discuss messages via YAHOOGROUPS.
>
> Please go to http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72