[sustran] Re: UN "ambassador" for public transport?

Chris Bradshaw c_bradshaw at rogers.com
Tue May 22 01:41:26 JST 2007

I missed this discussion a week ago.

I favour "Streets for People" Ambassador.  "New Mobility" is ambiguous, as
it would mean 'cars' in the developing world, and 'mobility' in my mind is
juxtaposed with what roads are all about: access.  As to ABC (anything but
cars), that is emphasizing what we are against, rather than what we are for.
And 'sustainable transportation' uses two long, technical terms that will
bore, rather than enliven.

"Streets for People", the title of one of the first books championing
walking in cities (by Rudofsky, I think), also offers support for the 1
million people -- a large % of whom are pedestrians -- who lose their lives
each year being run down by motor vehicles.  Never hurts to have the health
'angle' covered.

As to someone filling it, I feel it has to be someone with _both_ a high
profile outside our field and a personal commitment to our work.

I nominate Bette Midler, who, during a Charlie Rose interview (U.S. Public
broadcasting) some time ago said that she wanted to retire from performing
in just a few years and take up urban planning causes.  More recently, she
has championed community gardens on vacant lots in her native NYC (also the
native city of the late Jane Jacobs).  And she is a woman.

Someone mentioned another woman, Grey's Anatomy actress Sandra Oh.  She is
also non-White.  And, she is from an Ottawa suburb, where her parents still
live and where she has announced she will be spending part of her summer.
But I don't know her interests outside acting.

Chris Bradshaw
Ottawa