[sustran] Re: Transantiago - Is this a project of which we all need to know

Zegras, P. Christopher czegras at MIT.EDU
Tue May 15 05:16:19 JST 2007

Interesting analysis by Chilean news channel, comparing Transantiago
with Transmilenio (Bogota):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-HZGkotgw&mode=related&search=

(featuring many of our Colombian friends....)

(it is in Espanol).

Their basic take on the differences in 'success' of implementation
between the 2 systems:
- Phased implementation
- Private Vehicle Restriction for Congestion (in Bogota) as opposed to
for pollution (in Santiago)
- GPS operations in place from the start
- Investment in infrastructure: Safe, fully equipped, well-constructed
stations with pre-boarding payment and located in the median; and fully
segregated busways
- Strong coordination between authorities and bus companies.

To which I would add:
- Overall prioritization of transportation policies. Massive
transportation infrastructure expansion in Santiago: >US$1 bn in highway
concessions sapping government institutional energy, capacity and
resources from the Transantiago plan; and, >US$1 bn in Metro expansion.

Saludos, Chris

--
P. Christopher Zegras | Asst. Prof., Urban Planning & Transportation
Dept. of Urban Studies & Planning | Massachusetts Institute of Tech.
Tel: 617 452 2433 | Fax: 617 258 8081 | czegras at mit.edu
http://web.mit.edu/czegras/www/Zegras.htm