[sustran] Re: M1 Expansion to cost 21 million pounds per mile ...

Madhav Badami, Prof. madhav.g.badami at mcgill.ca
Mon May 7 02:00:06 JST 2007

Hello all,

Here is a far more modest assessment of what the proposed M1 expansion would buy in buses.

21 million pounds per mile X 240 miles = 5,040 million pounds

At 250,000 pounds per 40-foot low-floor bus, 5,040 million pounds would buy 20,000 buses.

London's bus fleet, I understand, is 8000 strong. 20,000 buses, I figure, would be a significant proportion of the UK bus fleet (our UK colleagues can tell us what the total UK bus fleet is).

While I obviously goofed up big time with my previous calculation as I was rushing to head off (MORAL: NEVER E-MAIL, AND CERTAINLY, NEVER MASS E-MAIL, IN A HURRY), for which I apologize most sincerely to one and all, that's a lot of buses (and one can try and estimate the relative accessibility, mobility, energy, environmental and other impacts of investing 5.04 billion in the M1 expansion versus 20,000 additional buses).

Madhav

"As for the future, your task is not to foresee, but to enable it."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Madhav G. Badami, PhD
School of Urban Planning and McGill School of Environment
McGill University
Macdonald-Harrington Building
815 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, H3A 2K6, Canada

Phone: 514-398-3183 (Work); 514-486-2370 (Home)
Fax: 514-398-8376; 514-398-1643
URLs: www.mcgill.ca/urbanplanning
www.mcgill.ca/mse
e-mail: madhav.badami at mcgill.ca