[sustran] Re: SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN THE PHILIPPINES

Kate Czuczman kate.czuczman at ifrtd.org
Thu May 3 22:16:03 JST 2007

Dear Roselle

Many thanks for sharing this abstract with us, I would be interested to read
the full study if it is available?  The issue of sexual harassment came up
strongly in some recent small studies on rural transport safety carried out
by IFRTD members in Peru and Cameroon. The studies included transport
security within their definition of safety, and sexual harassment was shown
to influence women and girl children's mobility in terms of modal choice and
affordability - safer seats are generally the more expensive seats. It can
also influence ability to travel when harassment takes the form of bribery
i.e sexual favors demanded in exchange for seats.   The issue is also shown
to be applicable to the use of transport infrastructure for example women
were shown to be vulnerable to harassment when using tracks and paths.   The
Cameroon study in particular highlights some of the coping mechanisms that
women have had to develop to address the security risks they face when
traveling eg. pooling resources and asking one man to purchase goods for
them. The full studies and a synthesis are available here:
http://www.ifrtd.org/new/proj/r_trans_safe.php

I am copying this reply to the Gatnet Gender, Equity and Transport email
discussion list as I think many of its members would be interested in your
abstract and may have other studies and ideas to share. If you are not
already a member of Gatnet you can find out more at
www.dgroups.org/groups/worldbank/gatnet and if you would like to join please
let me know and I will subscribe you.

With best wishes

Kate

Kate Czuczman
Editor and Communications Coordinator
International Forum for Rural Transport and Development (IFRTD)
kate.czuczman at ifrtd.org

  _____