[sustran] Re: Histories and Ideas Behind Bogota's BRT

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Mon Jan 29 01:50:28 JST 2007

To keep a long story justifiably long, start with Prof.  Arturo Ardila's PHD Thesis from his MIT Days -- which aims squarely at your question. I copied this to him and
I'm sure he'll send it. Nothing else comes close.

Then, for better or worse, you only have a few hundred more articles, half in Spanish to read...

Lee Schipper
Director of Research
EMBARQ, the WRI Center
for Sustainable Transport
10 G St. NE
Washington DC, 20002
+1202 729 7735
FAX +1202 7297775
www.embarq.wri.org

>>> andrew.crane-droesch at undp.org 26/01/2007 12:13:27 >>>
Dear All,

I've been following the Sustran listserv for quite some time now, but this is my first posting.  Apologies if this question has been covered before.

Regarding Bogotá's widely hailed BRT system, who were the major designers of the system, and whose ideas did it rely upon?  Was Curitiba's experience and expertise heavily relied upon?  Did it involve international consultants or consulting firms?  Or was it more of a homegrown affair?  Who were the designers, and are they still active?  Any relevant links to history of the system would be quite welcome.

Many Thanks,

Andrew Crane-Droesch

United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)/
    Global Environment Facility (GEF)
304 E 45th st, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10016
andrew.crane-droesch at undp.org