[sustran] Determining The Future Quality of a City

Eric Britton (ChoiceMail) Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Jan 29 00:36:56 JST 2007

On Behalf Of Edward Dodson
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:59 AM
To: Land-Cafe-Group
Subject: [LandCafe] food for thought

While doing some research, I came across some excerpts from the writings of an
M.I.T. professor named Jay W. Forrester. In a paper titled, "Determining The
Future Quality of a City," he writes:

"By building a rapid transit system a city is often, in effect, deciding to
change the composition of its population by encouraging new construction in
outlying areas, allowing inner areas to decay, and attracting low-income and
unskilled persons to the inner ring at the same time that job opportunities
decline. In other words, a control of growth and migration has been exerted at
all times, but it has often been guided by short-term considerations, with
unexpected and undesirable long-term results. The issue is not one of control or
no control. The issue is the kind of control and toward what end."

In another paper I have not been able to locate or identify, Professor Forrester
is quoted in some secondary materials as expressing support to the taxation of
land values.

Ed Dodson