[sustran] Re: Why do people speed?

John Ernst itdpasia at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 1 23:48:53 JST 2007

I wonder if the usual traffic calming techniques -- developed, I
believe, primarily for car traffic -- will work well in cities with
large numbers of motorcycles.

We should have a test example in Jakarta within a few months as a
traffic calming / pedestrian improvement attempt is now being built
at Plaza Fatahillah - 100m north of the Kota BRT terminal.  We need
to see how it affects motorcycles, though it clearly will not be as
effective as on cars -- judging from the fact that motorcycles were
driving through the construction zone last month, despite numerous
obstacles set out by the construction workers.

There is another factor to consider: even low-speed motorcycles, as
found in central Hanoi, are extremely hostile to pedestrian
activity.  It may not be fatal or even a serious injury to be hit by
a 20km/hr motorcycle, but it certainly isn't pleasant either... and
it's very common to at least be whacked by a mirror (in Jakarta, too).

Best,
John Ernst
www.itdp.org