[sustran] New Mobility comments, recommendations to Clinton Climate/Large Cities teams.

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Feb 14 01:28:09 JST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I am too busy at this time to participate
frequently in this project but would like to share some ideas.

Our report, "Win-Win Emission Reduction
Strategies (http://www.vtpi.org/wwclimate.pdf )
identifies various transportation policy reforms
that provide multiple economic, social and
environmental benefits. These strategies increase
transportation options, correct existing market
distortions that encourage economically excessive
vehicle travel and create more accessible
communities. They increase the financial rewards
to consumers when they reduce their driving,
giving people new opportunities to save money.

Described differently, although few motorists
want to give up driving altogether, compared with
current travel patterns, many would prefer to
drive somewhat less and rely more on alternative
modes, provided they are convenient, comfortable,
safe, affordable and prestigious. Market reforms
that improve mobility options and reward
consumers for reducing their driving can make people better off overall.

This is a positive message. It means that we can
reduce emissions in ways that help achieve other
transport planning objectives such as reducing
congestion, consumer costs and traffic accidents,
and improving mobility options for non-drivers.
The challenge we face is that conventional
decision-making is reductionist, each issue is
assigned to an individual agency or profession
with narrowly-defined responsibilities. This
tends to undervalue these Win-Win strategies -
they tend to provide more modest but multiple
benefits and so are seldom the highest ranking
solution to any problem. Yet, when all impacts
are considered, these solutions are often the
most cost-effective way of improving transportation.

For Win-Win solutions to be implemented as much
as justified it will be necessary to convince
transportation professionals that they should
place a high value on environmental objectives,
and environmental advocates that they should
place a high value on conventional transport
planning objectives such as reducing traffic
congestion and accidents, and improving mobility for non-drivers.

Most of these strategies can be applied in most
parts of the world. For example, currently no
country requires Pay-As-You-Drive pricing
(http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm79.htm ), which
converts vehicle registration and insurance into
distance-based fees, and most regions could do a
lot to make vehicle parking more rational and
efficient, so people pay directly for just the
amount of vehicle parking they actually need
(http://www.vtpi.org/park_man.pdf ). These two
measures alone could achieve more than half of
the Kyoto emission reduction targets for
automobile transportation in most developed
countries, while also helping to reduce
congestion, accidents and sprawl, and saving consumers money overall.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
“Efficiency - Equity - Clarity”