[sustran] MEXICO: Transgenic Maize Knocking at the Door (Frankenfoods, Frankenfuels)

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Sun Dec 23 02:16:06 JST 2007

This is related to the Vietnam biofuels story....

<http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=40573>

"Hey, wait, kiddo," you might be sayin', "This is not about transport in
the developing world"...

Well, okay,  not exactly, but I think the pressure put on Mexico because
of rising foodcorn prices due to the increased use of fuelcorn in El
Norte (USA) is creating better political conditions for GMO
foodcorn.(Frankenfood
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenfood#Frankenfood>).. and there is
genetic engineering going on with the goal of increasing yields of
fuelcrops (Frankenfuel*).

What's next? Chicken-powered rickshaws?
<http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=607&stc=1&d=1097696483>

- T

* "...We shouldn't call genetically engineered plants /biofuels/. They
are /frankenfuels/. By tampering with plant DNA, we run the risk of
getting further out of balance, possibly introducing new and unexpected
harms like invasive species that take over croplands and natural
ecosystems...."
- Joe Brewer <http://www.hotglobe.org/content/view/596/29/>

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunni 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net