[sustran] news article on LPG buses in Manila

Ramon Fernan bayk_aksyon at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 13:24:33 JST 2007

Sorry, I  forgot to append  this news article on LPG
buses in Manila to my  earlier  query on this fuel.

Ramon Fernan III

LPG-run buses to ply Metro Manila roads
By Abigail L. Ho
Inquirer
Last updated 00:10am (Mla time) 08/15/2007
MANILA, Philippines – Before the year ends, buses
running on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)—a fuel
commonly used for cooking by households—will start
plying the streets of Metro Manila.
The Philippine LPG Bus and Taxi Co. Inc. will
pilot-test 10 LPG-run buses from Chinese manufacturer
King Long Buses by October, which will ply the SM
Fairview-Alabang route via C5, said company director
Emmanuel Atienza.
He added that the Board of Investments recently gave
them the go-signal for the duty-free importation of up
to 200 buses. The Land Transportation Franchising and
Regulatory Board, on the other hand, has assured them
that it would issue franchises for 60 of the buses.
“Our target is to get rid of all diesel-run buses,”
Atienza said, noting that the test run would determine
whether or not these buses would function well on
Philippine roads.
The first 60 buses that will be given LTFRB franchises
will ply Metro Manila routes, while the remaining 140
buses will likely be used for provincial trips and as
shuttle buses.
The 100-percent LPG-run buses will not only help
reduce the country’s overall diesel consumption, but
are also expected to reduce harmful emissions and
improve the condition of the environment, Atienza
said.
The drivers of these buses will likewise benefit from
reduced costs and higher earnings, as autogas—or LPG
used as transport fuel—costs only P23 a liter compared
to diesel, which sells for around P33 a liter.