[sustran] Second Master Plan for Chennai. - request for comments

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Apr 16 01:17:51 JST 2007

Okay Arul, I have had my first quick look at the draft chapter and a couple
of things strike me that may end up being useful to you and your colleagues
as you work to come up with an Alternate proposal or suggestions for your
Master Planners.

*	Strikes me that they are doing a largely competent job in setting the
stage with the usual purely transport statistics in those first pages. It’s
at least a start. Of  sorts.

*	But then they quickly veer off on old and familiar habits -- and if I were
to judge it on the basis of my very fast look, it would strike me that this
is basically driving them to “more of the same”. And while there is a
certain amount of comforting language about TDM, passing mentions of good
Dutch, Danish and German practices, but as a clue – on almost every place in
the chapter where you see the word “demand” it is usually prelude to a
conclusion that you gotta build something to meet it. I think we have seen
that before.

*	The Bible that my old grandmother used to carry around with her, says that
a man who will steal a talon (a penny_ will steal your fortune. So I say
down and ran a bunch of words through a frequency scan and here is what I
came up with.

	*	Accident – 1. Sprawl - 1. Waiting  -1. Environment – 2. Bicycle – 2.
Maintenance – 3. Safe/safety – 4. TDM - 4.  Congestion – 6. Parking – 30.

	*	Health – 0. Injury – 0. Handicapped - 0, Elderly - 0, Disabled – 0.
Respiratory – 0. Death – 0. Life – 0.

	*	Children – 0. Gender – 0. Women – 0. Female – 0.

	*	Walking – 0. Public space – 0. Parks - 0, Community - 0, Participation –
0. Independent – 0.

	*	Ecology/ecological – 0. Planet – 0. CO2 – 0.  GHG – 0. Greenhouse – 0,

	*	Traffic – 46.

	*	Roads -124 times.

I guess that gives us a few clues, and while I have a number of further
thoughts on this, let me get off the stage and her what the others have to
offer.

Eric Britton

PS. May I suggest in the interests of economy that these discussions
continue mainly in Sustran and the New Mobility Agenda Idea Factory, and I
hope that we shall be hearing from our Gatnet friends (www.gatnet.net) on
this as well? Thanks

Posted by: "arul rathinam" arulgreen at yahoo.com
<mailto:arulgreen at yahoo.com?Subject=%20Re%3A%5Bsustran%5D%20Transport%20-%20
the%20Second%20Master%20Plan%20for%20Chennai%2E>

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:15 pm (PST)

Dear Friends

Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA)
published the draft version of the Second Master Plan
for Chennai on 11 April 2007. Any person interested in
Master Plan II could send in their suggestions to CMDA
on or before 12 July 2007.

We, as a NGO, wish to bring an ‘Alternate’ Second
Master Plan for Chennai, particularly on Transport. We
are planning to organize awareness campaign and
consultation meetings for it.

I am attaching the link to Transport Chapter from the
Second Master Plan for Chennai.

http://www.cmdachennai.org/design/pdfs/SMP/D_Chapt%20%20IV%20_Transportation
.pdf
<http://www.cmdachennai.org/design/pdfs/SMP/D_Chapt%20%20IV%20_Transportatio