[sustran] Re: Second Master Plan for Chennai. - request for comments

Sunny sunny.enie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 01:39:50 JST 2007

Nice comments Eric. Agree with you entirely. The following were my
comments which I posted on CAI lists where I first saw this post of
Chennai Master Plan

********
Dear Arul,

Thanks very much for the report and it is very interesting.

Dear All,

After reading the report I felt that CMDA aims to strike a balance on
providing the road for both cars, PT and NMT. The important factor in
achieving sustainable transport is making a city transport fit for
moving more people (which was stated somewhere in the report) and this
can be done by increasing the importance for Public Transport.

CMDA states that they will be purchasing new fleet of buses which is a
good idea but wht will be the use of so many new buses when they are
stuck in the traffic same like the older ones. It has to be noted by the
city authorities that when buses move faster than the cars then there
will surely be a increase in bus ridership. One good thing in the report
is the vision for implementing bus lanes and other mass transit options.
I would also suggest CMDA to look into the scope of implementing a BRT
system which is way far cheaper than the LRT/ mono rail and equally
efficient.

I have noticed in the report that plans are being made in increasing the
parking supply which I feel is not a good idea if the city wishes to
achieve sustainable transport. Parking spaces in a city are a factor
determining the automobile (esp. private) dependency in a city. So
providing multi-storied parking will not be a solution to reduce car
dependency.

Coming to the topic of emissions it is very surprising to learn from the
report about the emissions increase in future. For this aspect improving
mass transit and NMT is very very crucial. People generally compare
vehicles when they observe and often say that the bus is very polluting
while my car is very clean. This statement becomes false when per capita
emissions are considered. 30 people travelling in a polluted bus
obviously emit less pollution than 30 people driving in 30 different cars.

A city with good public transport running on alternative/cleaner fuels
along with a increased importance for NMT would definitely make the air
cleaner.

Lastly, I was surprised to see that nothing about accidents and
fatalities has been discussed in the report. If this is also shown then
it would be evident to how much social cost is transport responsible.

Please give your comments on the above.

Kind regards
Sunny

For more information on improving mass transit, Bus rapid transit,
non-motorised transport and, air quality management please visit our
website www.sutp.org You can download our modules for free on the
aforementioned topics after a free registration. In case if you have any
difficulty please email me.