[sustran] Re: Bangkok bike parking

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Fri May 5 10:16:52 JST 2006

Dear Linda,

Yes, that appears very negative but indeed it is not that Thais like to
sit in a traffic jam or breath the dirty air, there are many Thais who
want to shift to other means if given an opportunity this can been seen
by over crowded PT and good use of their railway systems, but the only
thing lacking is the efficiency and quality in PT. If I am right even
Bogotá had lot of traffic jams before the BRT was introduced, all that
is required is spicing up the PT so that people feel it is good to
travel and is comfortable and affordable.

I have to agree with your comment on the 200 or 100 baht fines/bribes
(in India) but have you heard of a fine of 100 baht if you cross the
road without using a pedestrian overpass?.....this sort of thinking
needs a change and the change should be behavioural. Providing bike
parks and reducing car parks will give an opportunity for people to
realise tht they can use a bike for a short travel...many people say tht
bike travel is not safe thts the reason they don't use bikes....if it is
made safer then we can expect an increase in bike usage...the other day
I read a news on creating motorbike lanes but in stead if these lanes
are made into bicycle lanes it would be more better.

Sunny