[sustran] Re: Bangkok bike parking

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 5 11:36:45 JST 2006

The police bribe depends on circumstances, but everyone regards it as
preferable to enforcement!

Except I did have one really bad incident with the police.

I had rented three minibuses for a student trip. The operator had not told
me he wasn't allowed out of Bangkok. Worse, he had not told me we were
following the route of a rival bus line which actually had a license to
operate on it.

Everyone pays the police protection money. That is a basic. Every
motorbike taxi, tuk-tuk, you name it, will pay off the police in their
area so they are left alone.

And the payment does indeed also afford some protection, and profits to
the police.

So, we got stopped. And the police wanted 1000 baht per minibus.

A little hesitation, and handcuffs were produced.

The unhappy drivers paid 1000 baht each, but we were allowed to go on our
illegal way. In fact, when stopped again later, one of the drivers simply
pointed out that a bribe had already been paid, and that seemed to serve
as the permit for the rest of the day.

Police are paid very little -- they start on 7000 baht a month, so bribes
are regarded as a necessary part of their income. This is a key to the
traffic problem in Bangkok. Unfortunately, no matter what plans -- grand
or modest -- are produced, progress cannot be made until corruption is
faced head on.

                         --Jonathan

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Linda Fullerton wrote:

> Re: As Carlos suggested there is a strong need of "ENFORCEMENT" rather than urging)
>
> Enforcement in Bangkok? When 200 Baht or if you're lucky 100 Baht will get you off
 any traffic offence?

> Re: and that they will use the bike park designs we've given them
>
> Bikes are ridden by those who can't afford motorbikes. It will take a lot more
 than Bike parks to change a population aspiring to the level of private transport
 available to most in the west. The average Thai is quite content to sit in a traffic
 jam...

> Sorry to appear negative....
>
> Linda.

-----