[sustran] Re: Motorcycles in the world

Su-Lin Chee sulin at vectordesigns.org
Fri Jun 16 09:53:11 JST 2006

Dear Hien Nguyen,
I can't give you any hard statistics but certainly, in Malaysia,
motorcycles are plenty, in cities as well as villages, and they are
the main source of transport for those in the lower-income bracket,
rather than public transport. In the city, besides being cheap, they
are also able to avoid traffic jams by going in between cars and other
vehicles. However, they are the main victims involved in road
accidents. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Su-Lin Chee

project manager
klang valley public transportation information system
vector designs
www.vectordesigns.org
54a jalan kemuja
bangsar utama
59000 kuala lumpur
tel/fax +603.22826363
mobile +6016.2183363

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I am doing a study on the motorcycles traffic. As far as I know that
motorcycles are domonated in traffic streams in many countries such as
Taiwan or Vietnam. I also leant that the number of motorcycles is
increasing in other countries, like India or Indonesia. In some
developed cities in Greece or Italy, the proportion of motorcycles in
traffic flows is quite high as well.

> 1. Do you have any reference/material saying the number/proportion
of motorcycles, and more importantly, a prediction on the growth of
this type of vehicles in the above countries/region? I have read some
papers in EASTS and TRB but they look not to satisfy my question.