[sustran] Re: On vs off street parking

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Apr 26 22:13:32 JST 2006

Mr. TenBrink raised a number of good questions, including whether
reducing parking supply reduces automobile trips and congetion. The
answer is that it certainly can, particularly if implemented in
conjunction with improved transit service, and improved cycling and
walking conditions. Several studies have found a strong negative
correlation between downtown parking supply and transit ridership.

Conventional parking standards, such as those published by the
Institute of Transportation Engineers and the American Planning
Association, assume that each destination should have the maximum
amount of parking supply that may ever be needed over the facility's
life, which results in most destinations having far more parking
supply than they usually need. On-street parking is one of the most
efficient ways of sharing parking facilities, so each space serves
several destinations (homes in the evenings, shops during the day,
pubs and restaurants in the evening) so each well-managed on-street
space can substitute for three or four off-street spaces. The result
is fewer total spaces required, allowing more compact development and
encouraging "park-once" trips (motorist parks their car and walks to
several destinations, rather than making several short vehicle
trips). "Efficient management" includes efficient pricing of parking
spaces, which is an excellent form of local revenue (see our new
paper "Parking Taxes: Evaluating Options and Impacts" at
http://www.vtpi.org/parking_tax.pdf ).

Of all the reforms we can make to encourage more efficient
transportation, more efficient land use, and more equitable
transportation funding, changing parking management practices to
encourage efficiency is one of the most effective. For more information see:

"Parking Management," a free report at
(<http://www.vtpi.org/park_man.pdf>http://www.vtpi.org/park_man.pdf ).

Mott Smith, "Onsite Parking: The Scourge of America's Commercial
Districts"
(<http://www.planetizen.com/node/19246>http://www.planetizen.com/node/19246 ).

Donald Shoup, "The Price Of Parking On Great Streets"
(<http://www.planetizen.com/node/19150>http://www.planetizen.com/node/19150 ).

Todd Litman, "Parking Management: Innovative Solutions To Vehicle
Parking Problems"
(<http://www.planetizen.com/node/19149>http://www.planetizen.com/node/19149 ).

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"