[sustran] Re: On vs off street parking or simply reducing on street parking.

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Thu Apr 27 00:35:06 JST 2006

This discussion has been helpful, as we are just getting into parking issues
and still need to think them through, and it is interesting that we usual
suspects are not entirely of one mind.

The point is well taken that the on street versus off street issue is fairly
context specific.  I am sure the issue plays out differently in different
situations.  I have enjoyed the new material by Shoup and the material of
Knoflacher, and am pretty familiar with todd's work.

I have been frustrated with Knoflacher's work in that there are almost no
real world examples of where anything has been done to implement his general
approach, so I am wondering about references to political processes that
have worked in implementing parking regimes that have led to good examples
of traffic calmed or post traffic calmed streets.  Sometimes the streets are
visible but often not the process that led to its implementation.  I am sure
there are good examples in Europe and probably a few in the US, and would be
curious if people had info.

Transportation Alternatives held this great event in Williamsburg where they
bought a curbside parking space and occupied with café tables and bike
parking for a day, and paid the meter fee.  People loved it, as it
politicized the issue.

I started this discussion with a very specific context in mind.  In my
neighborhood, (and one always looks out the window first), maybe 1/3 of the
people own a car, and a lot of us have kids.  There is free curb side
parking on both sides of the street, you only have to move the cars on the
days the street cleaners come, so there is some day regulation but otherwise
it’s free.  Usually you can find something within a block or two of your
house after cruising around for a while.  I guess this situation is typical
of residential areas in major cities, not so much in suburbs where a house
might have three cars per person or something and plenty of curbside space.

In this very specific context, I would think that a purely democratic
process to reapportion the street space would lead to a reduction of
on-street parking space in favour of more sidewalk space.

I proposed a concrete suggestion: what if a mechanism were developed where
people could decide, democratically, within parameters set by the city DOT,
about the apportionment of the public right of way in front of their houses.
Obviously a street has a function that is beyond the interests of the people
living there, but some part of the street serves a throughput function, and
some part an access function.  It is reasonable to have the City DOT do two
things: set the speed limit (this was a huge battle in New York to get the
city the power to reduce the speed limits on residential streets) and
determine the needed throughput on the street.

Perhaps the municipality could then have a pilot project where they would
give communities a pot of money on a competitive basis the option to
redesign the streetscape in a way that conformed to these DOT requirements
but better conformed to the specific wishes of that community.  There would
be on many streets a high degree of flexibility.  To get the money, a block
association would have to be formed and certified, and the city itself might
have an architect able to take in the basic position of the community, and
the city would finance the buildout for the best ultimate designs, judged
by, i don’t know, the planning commission or something.

If such a localized urban design project went forward, I would guess that in
some communities it would lead to the reduction of on street parking.  Maybe
in others it would lead to an increase, who knows.  But perhaps the
mechanism would get some fresh ideas and approaches out there for people to
think about.

Anybody ever heard of anything like this being tried?  Is it a good idea?

Best
Walter