[sustran] Hybrid cars can they help the developing world?

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:43:07 JST 2006

In view of the recent comments on the hybrid cars. I would like to ask
the members here that how many of us would feel that Hybrid cars can
help the developing world in any way to provide relief from the
increasing car dependency and everyday traffic jams.

I support both Todd and Olly, I don't see any benefit from having a
hybrid in the developing cities like Delhi, Bangalore or Bangkok. In
these cities this might increase the status symbol for many people who
can boast on their hybrid ownership. But hybrids in any way cannot
reduce the maternal causalities in the villages or increase the access
to schools in the rural parts and I am sure that there are many people
in India who have never even heard of a  hybrid.  I would have surely
supported  if it had shown signs of increasing the equity and gender.
These in my view are the important goals to be achieved in terms of
transportation in the developing world.

If it comes to air pollution reduction...yes hybrids MIGHT reduce the
air pollution but wht is the point if the existing car users don't shift
but instead new hybrids are added to the roads. Then it is not a
reduction in air pollution but an increase though it is only a small
fraction. At the end of life the hybrids might be responsible for more
pollution, air, water or land, due their improper disposal. In country
like India when people are not educated in properly disposing their
waste how can disposing f hybrids be achieved?

On more point, I even state din some of my earlier posts, when there is
an increased demand in the hybrids in the developed world..what is the
fate of their existing cars...i see two possibilities 1 - being tipped
or 2 - is exported to the third world, in both the cases the cars
continue to produce their part of pollution sometimes even greater.

So, on the whole i don't see any relief in the transportation scenario
for the developing world from the advent of the hybrids unless the
hybrids can control the human consumption pattern with the existing
resources available for commute.

Sunny

P.S: Please see attached the picture of a real eco-car