[sustran] Transport of Delight! New Book!

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Mar 16 23:09:28 JST 2005

Dear Jonathan,

It is easy to criticize rail transit investments if they are evaluated
using conventional transportation engineering metrics (e.g., cost per new
transit trip), ignoring secondary effects such as leverage effects on per
capita automobile mileage and desirable land use effects. I hope that this
book contains balanced information on the unique benefits of rail transit
and transit oriented development. Your thesis was completed years ago
before much of this was published, but you had time to incorporate it into
the book. See, for example:

Hank Dittmar, "Is Rail Transit Right For Your Community? Asking the Right
Questions; Measuring the Benefits," Surface Transportation Policy Project
(www.transact.org/report.asp), 1997.

Hank Dittmar and Gloria Ohland, "The New Transit Town: Best Practices In
Transit-Oriented Development," Island Press (www.islandpress.org), 2004.

Carmen Hass-Klau, et al., "Bus Or Light Rail : Making The Right Choice,"
Environment and Transport Planning, Brighton Press (Brighton), 2000

John Holtzclaw, "Does A Mile In A Car Equal A Mile On A Train? Exploring
Public Transit's Effectiveness In Reducing Driving," The Sierra Club,
(www.sierraclub.org/sprawl/articles/reducedriving.asp), 2000.

Todd Litman, "Rail Transit in America: Comprehensive Evaluation of
Benefits," VTPI (www.vtpi.org/railben.pdf), 2004.

Glenn Pascall, "The Rail Transit Debate; An Assessment Of The Arguments,"
Discovery Institute (www.discovery.org), 2001.

I see much more mythology and planning distortions related to automobile
transportation (cars are often described as "sexy," see discussion in
http://www.vtpi.org/autosex.htm and are a major status symbol as discussed
in http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm91.htm), significant planning and modeling
errors that favor highway building (see http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf and
http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm76.htm), resulting in much greater economic
resources wasted than occurs with rail investments.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director