[sustran] Transport of Delight! New Book!

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 16 15:14:45 JST 2005

I would like to let you know that my "new" book, "Transport of Delight --
The Mythical Conception of Rail Transit in Los Angeles," has now been
published by the University of Akron Press.

It can be found here on Amazon (and I would certainly appreciate any
reader's comments on the Amazon site if you get a chance to read it):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/188483695X/qid=1110952534/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/102-6230374-9224931?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I put "new" in quotes because the book is in fact an updated version of
my MIT doctoral dissertation. The book is about how a system of images,
symbols and metaphors comes together to creat powerful myths which spur
poor planning decisions (in this case, the creation of a rail passenger
system in Los Angeles). It is full of interviews of politicians,
planners, community leaders and others, and their responses are subjected
to a literary analysis to help understand the driving forces behind their
reasoning and actions. I find that there is a "logic of the insane," and
suggest that those of us subject to such a logic -- frankly all of us at
some time or another -- need to be able to learn to identify and reflect
on the assumptions which constrain us if we are to move beyond them.
This is not just about transportation, but about thought and
action as a whole.

I also include a critique of technical modelling procedures in use in LA
(and typically used widely elsewhere). A history of transportation policy
development in the States (and specifically in Los Angeles) is also there,
and should be of widespread interest.

Unfortunately, I am very unhappy with the production of the book. The
University of Akron Press behaved in a disgraceful way in suddenly cutting
out a large part of the essential illustrative material after it had been
painstakingly assembled and permissions paid. Arguments that this
decision affected the integrity of the text fell on deaf ears. The press
claimed they were short of money, but would not respond to an offer to pay
the alleged additional costs of including all the materials originally
planned (and which the press had received a year beforehand and had said
would be put into production). I have made a complaint about the press
director to the provost of the University of Akron.

Despite this lapse, almost all my words are there -- I say "almost"
because the press refused to include a statement regarding the
unauthorized deletion of illustrations -- and I would of course like you
to have the chance to read them and perhaps recommend my book to your
students, since I think it has much to say of relevance to a great many
areas of human endavour.

Best,

                                   --Jonathan
-----

Jonathan E. D. Richmond                               02 524-5510 (office)
Visiting Fellow                               Intl.: 662 524-5510
Urban Environmental Management program,
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Room N260B                                            02 524-8257 (home)
Asian Institute of Technology                 Intl.: 662 524-8257
PO Box 4
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120                        02 524-5509 (fax)
Thailand                                      Intl:  662 524-5509

e-mail: richmond at ait.ac.th               Secretary:  Kuhn Vantana Pattanakul
        richmond at alum.mit.edu		              02 524-6368
					      Intl:  662 524-6132
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/